Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Who rides a Korua?

167816 1339
Their yearning for turning series is so awesome. I love the simple white/red boards and their shapes.
You don't see much info or reviews on these boards, does anyone riding them have any opinions they'd like to share?
The boards that excite me most are the Pencil, Stealth, Tranny Finder and Cafe Racer.

If I managed to ruin my SPAM I imagine I'd be very interested in one of those.

Lets talk Karua!
1281 - 1300 of 1340 Posts

· Registered
15 Posts
While I'm still enjoying my Otto a lot, the amount of days I can propely use it are limited so I'm adding a bit softer deck to my quiver (something like Amplid Singular). Therefore I want to sell the Otto, if anyone is interested.

It's an Otto 57, ~ 5 days on the mountain, ~10 sessions indoor. Basically as good as new, just broken in. Base in perfect shape, with a fresh wax and top sheet perfect as well. Looking for around 300 or make me an offer :). Bought in end of Feb this year.

· Registered
1 Posts
Question for all of you Korua fans! I am in search for a board to change my Hovercraft. I ride mostly groomers and like mellow turns. Don’t care about park and I’m looking for something that can handle ice. The korua will be paired with stepon x and burton photon. Thank you for the suggestions (Size 184cm 74kg)

· Registered
1 Posts
While I'm still enjoying my Otto a lot, the amount of days I can propely use it are limited so I'm adding a bit softer deck to my quiver (something like Amplid Singular). Therefore I want to sell the Otto, if anyone is interested.

It's an Otto 57, ~ 5 days on the mountain, ~10 sessions indoor. Basically as good as new, just broken in. Base in perfect shape, with a fresh wax and top sheet perfect as well. Looking for around 300 or make me an offer :). Bought in end of Feb this year.
Got any pics of the board? Just made an account when I say your post!

· Registered
106 Posts
Question for all of you Korua fans! I am in search for a board to change my Hovercraft. I ride mostly groomers and like mellow turns. Don’t care about park and I’m looking for something that can handle ice. The korua will be paired with stepon x and burton photon. Thank you for the suggestions (Size 184cm 74kg)
If you ride a lot of icy conditions Korua might not be your best choice. There are better options for ice - I prefer a narrower stiff board with full camber. For example my Nitro Banker 159 is much nicer to ride in icy conditions than my Koruas (TF+, Otto 157).

· Registered
74 Posts
thought I'd share a video from last winter... cruising the slope on a `22 TF157 at Beaver Creek - I was trying out the shiny brand new Flux CV bindings (the one with high heel cup) to get the feel of it. My friend was on the Otto 161

· Registered
186 Posts
Would be interesting to try out or at least see some reviews. Is it a bullet train in CR-shape? Koruas web says it weighs 3,4kg, is that really the case or is it a typo? My TF+ is 2,5kg
I think weight is a typo indeed, the plus line has always been super light.
The Cafe Racer Plus appears to be heavier, with a titanium core like the Bullet Train Plus.:cry:

I think I’d be tempted to go with the Pencil Plus… it’s lighter than the regular Cafe Racer (159), you ride the same edge on groomers, but it has the rocker nose for POW. I’ve never contemplated a 164 though… despite being well into the 60-95 kg weight range at 79 kg.

Plus I have been contemplating a big mountain, hard charging carving & powder board.

· Registered
1,949 Posts
I think I’d be tempted to go with the Pencil Plus… it’s lighter than the regular Cafe Racer (159), you ride the same edge on groomers, but it has the rocker nose for POW. I’ve never contemplated a 164 though… despite being well into the 60-95 kg weight range at 79 kg.
I have the Pencil plus and I think it must pretty much the same board as the (old) Cafe Racer plus except for the rocker in the nose. On my board you can clearly see the outline of the core in front of the swallowtail. My board is a few years old though, so I can't speak for later productions.

What I'm saying is that I think the torsional stiffness of the tail should be the same. I can't say anything about the contact points in the tail though. There's a noticeable rocker on the Pencil plus tail. It makes the tail disengage easily for good and bad. It makes it slashy on banks for example.

The Pencil plus is kind of a bumpy ride though so it's best suited for good snow. It's very lively, in every way, and on chattery ice or messed up skier moguls it really isn't a lot of fun. I rode the classic TF in messy spring snow and it was a lot easier on the legs.

The turning experience on the Pencil plus is just super fun.

· Registered
2,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,294 ·
Someone should buy my CR159. I hear it’s literally better than all the other models and sizes. Pretty sure NW even said that himself. This is a direct quote “the board we sold Mr.Davey2Shoes is the best board we’ve ever pressed, I can’t believe there is an opportunity for someone to buy it”

· Registered
15 Posts
Was about to make a Korua board thread, glad to find this thread alive and well.

So this is going to be my 3rd season and I’ve been trying to get my carves lower and lower. Like the Japanese snow surf style.

I’m looking into a more serious carving board, debating between the cafe racer 59 and the pencil 59. I had trouble carving through chunder that builds up later in the day. This is probably a skill issue, as I’m still working on my bum sticking out/waist bending during my carves. But which of those two boards would you guys recommend?

· Registered
510 Posts
The Café Racer 59 is about the same specs as the pencil 64, the pencil 59 is closer the café racer 54 (different tail shapes). Theoritically, they should be a bit different profile on the camber profile and torsional flex. Judging from this thread, apparently not that much.

But yeah, carving groomers with a bit of surf style, the Café Racer is really great. It's really good at absorbing bumps… up to a point, there are no miracles in mine fields either. The 59 has that huge 30mm taper, which makes the turns so easy and special but also limits the versatility a bit.

1281 - 1300 of 1340 Posts