Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

Who rides a Korua?

269K views 2K replies 122 participants last post by  koruafan711 
#1 · (Edited)
Their yearning for turning series is so awesome. I love the simple white/red boards and their shapes.
You don't see much info or reviews on these boards, does anyone riding them have any opinions they'd like to share?
The boards that excite me most are the Pencil, Stealth, Tranny Finder and Cafe Racer.

If I managed to ruin my SPAM I imagine I'd be very interested in one of those.

Lets talk Karua!

#2 ·
I hear you. My favorite shapes from Korua are the Pencil and the Obelix. The classic line is really cheap. I've been looking for an addition to my current board and they are definitely on the radar even if I find it kind of stupid to buy a board with p-tex edges and no side cut to speak of.

#3 ·
Iir,... @sabatoa rode & reviewed one of their boards. If you can't find the thread here using the search function, go to Agnarchy.com & search for his & dave z's reviews.

#5 · (Edited)
I really enjoyed riding the Pencil. I've heard some people question their durability but I can't really speak to that. I would suggest if that's a concern that the Plus versions are beefed up construction so they may be a little tougher. however I didn't notice any signs that they were frail, on the contrary the base held up well and even the gloss topsheet, though it took a few chips around the edges but that happens on a lot of boards from impact or lift line dings etc...

the concept line is for deep days only, no edges hahaha you don't want that for ordinary riding days. shape on the Blindgänger looks rad tho.

[ame]https://vimeo.com/259604774[/ame]

#6 ·
I really enjoyed riding the Pencil. I've heard some people question their durability but I can't really speak to that. I would suggest if that's a concern that the Plus versions are beefed up construction so they may be a little tougher. however I didn't notice any signs that they were frail, on the contrary the base held up well and even the gloss topsheet, though it took a few chips around the edges but that happens on a lot of boards from impact or lift line dings etc...

the classic line is for deep days only, no edges hahaha you don't want that for ordinary riding days. shape on the Blindgänger looks rad tho.

https://vimeo.com/259604774
Awesome videos!
So hold on, the regular boards dont have an edge???

#10 ·
Just rode my Pencil Plus for the first time. -8C and blue skies.

I rode it on perfect groomers and some above the knee deep pockets of really nice but semi dense powder.

I was worried it would be hard to get on edge and to turn because of the width but the moment I took my first turns I realized this is a really nimble board.

Easy to get on edge and easy transitions. Easy to make short radius turn but also feels nice doing longer accelerating s-turns. You can slide around on it but it's not really the best feature of this board. Going down steeper runs I had a tendency to put it on edge instead of sliding the turns and it just kept accelerating like crazy unless I checked my speed. The steeps felt a lot steeper than on my old board... haha.

It's really fun carving though. I put my angles at 18/3 with lots of forward lean on the highbacks. The heel side grip felt surprisingly good and leaning into the toe side turns felt awesome. The groomers were ridiculously good so maybe any board would have had that grip though. I will definitely increase my angles further to 21/6 next time.

My former board needed a lot more back leg in the powder so at first I stalled going into the deeper parts because I just pressed the tail into the snow. Once I realized I wasn't going to sink putting weight on my front foot it was a blast charging through the powder. The base seems durable because my third run into powder I banged into a log or a rock and I thought the base was done for. Just some very mild scratches, luckily.

I'm a heavy guy so this board doesn't feel very stiff at all. If anything maybe springy and playful. Can it be playfully aggressive?

Not sure about the top sheet quality though. All in all I'm very pleased with it and I see this as a very nice daily driver for riding both alone and with my kids. A having a fun day on the mountain kind of board for just turning and looking for pow.

#11 ·
After a few more days on the Pencil Plus, I have to say I'm still pleased with it. It's lively and not very forgiving but so much fun to ride.

The Goodride complains that it's more of a "drivey s-turn" board, but I find that laying this sideways it just takes off across the piste like crazy. Maybe it's my weight letting me flexing it more, but I suspect it's just a matter of pushing it. It's more of a problem with not having empty slopes because it turns so much that you cut into other people's paths. Another fun feature is that the board doesn't wait to turn. When you lay it over it just immediately takes off into the turn. What I completely agree with is that it likes picking up speed in the s-turns.

My first thought was that it's fine riding at all speeds and it is fine doing that, but it's not very fun riding it like that and at slow speeds it feels a little catchy and dull. So although you can cruise around on it, it's not what this board was meant for.

#18 ·
After a few more days on the Pencil Plus, I have to say I'm still pleased with it. It's lively and not very forgiving but so much fun to ride.

The Goodride complains that it's more of a "drivey s-turn" board, but I find that laying this sideways it just takes off across the piste like crazy.

Totally confused by the above. Isn't a board laid sideways ( presumably in a turn) that takes off on it's own (drivey) a "drivey s-turn" board? Not trying to be a dick, it just seems to me that the board is doing for you exactly what Goodride said it would do. Maybe we don't have the same understanding of "drivey"? I'm shopping like you and absolutely loved your thread where you almost settled on the Amplid, but then got the Pencil. I want to understand what you are saying about the Pencil now, but I don't get it.

#20 ·
forget those idiots from goodride, they don't know how to ride, just paraphrase manufacturers product descriptions. Look at those idiots on a serious carving board on a blue run, all skidded turns
https://vimeo.com/186377311
Good god that was a painful 20 seconds. Stopped it there and didn't listen to them jabbering, but I've no doubt they said it had good edge hold...How would they know!?

#21 ·
told nothing on the video, but read what they layed out in their website:

Carving: Really fun to lay out a surfy carve of any aggression level. one of this boards shining points and we never really felt the tail wash even though it’s tapered. We do put more weight on the tail with boards like this but still it felt pretty good in the tail. .

since when tapered snowboards wash out easier than not tapered? :D

#23 ·
I have a 157 Trannfy Finder and love it. I have about 10-12 days on it. It's more of my powder board or whenever I feel like I want to just carve all day. Not great at slow speeds but that's not what it's built for. If you want a stiff cambered powder board that can lay trenches this board can do it. I haven't had any troubles with durability yet either.

#36 ·
I have a perfect condition ridden one day ‘18 157 Tranny Finder for sale $375.

Drop me a message, I can send pics or if you live near Everett Wa meet up.

Like I said ridden one day, thought I’d like the width especially after previously owning a K2 Fatbob and several Lib wide models, but I didn’t care for it I had to adjust massive angle in my front highbacks.

#42 · (Edited)
Owned the 54 T.Finder this year, and still currently the 56 Stealth. At ~165-170lbs, size 8US Ion Leather boots, mod-Genies/Cartel combo binders.

Def a charger for me with my specs above; borderline plank-ish esp in bulletproof conditions here in Ontario. Strongest suit is def going fast; charging hard esp on wide open groomers. Turn initiation can potentially feel slow if have softer bindings and/or boots, and small boot size (technique also plays a major role, of course). If looking for something mellow and/or forgiving, these boards aren't it lol.

Havent gotten many deep days with them yet, so can't delve much on that aspect right now. But will be making the trek to pow mecca (Japan) this coming winter, so hoping to see how well it floats in deep snow.

Also, any board I own I usually ride both on hill and in the park. Rode the 54 Tranny Finder a ton especially; the more fun and versatile of the two. They're pretty fun on jumps and quite boosty. Esp on colder/slicker days, find myself landing near the flat bottom far more than I'd like lol. I didn't jib with them all that much (aka avoided them, as can be seen in edit below lol). Not the ideal choice for that type of riding anyway, so can't say much for that either.

Have since given the 54 T.Finder to my bro, but have replaced it with the 57 T.Finder + this summer. Excited to see how the regular and plus line compare/differ on snow.

Anyhow, here's a short edit from spring hot laps on the 54 T.Finder this past winter.

https://youtu.be/ELKsB-tjkjA

#43 ·
Owned the 54 T.Finder this year, and still currently the 56 Stealth. At ~165-170lbs, size 8US Ion Leather boots w/ mod Genies/Cartel combo binders.

Def a charger for me given my specs above; borderline plank-ish esp when in bulletproof conditions here in Ontario, Canada. Strongest suit is def going fast; charging hard esp on wide open groomers. Turn initiation can potentially feel slow if have softer bindings and/or boots, and small boot size (though technique plays a major role, as well of course). If you want something mellow and/or forgiving, this board is not for you lol.

We don't get deep days here often, so can't delve too much on that aspect yet. Though, thankfully making the trek to pow mecca (Japan) this coming winter, so will finally get the chance to ride it in its other strong element.

Also, any board I own I usually ride both on hill and in the park. Rode both in the park, the 54 Tranny Finder especially; the more fun and versatile of the two. They're pretty fun on jumps and quite boosty, to say the least. Esp on colder/slicker days, I find myself landing near the flat bottom far more than I'd like lol. I didn't jib with them all that much (aka avoided them, as you'll also see in the edit below lol). Not really the ideal choice for that sort of riding, anyway so can't say much for that either.

Have since passed down the 54 T.Finder to my bro, but have replaced it with the 57 T.Finder + this summer. Excited to see how they compare/differ on snow.

Anyhow, here's a short little edit compiled from some spring hot laps while on my 54 T.Finder this past szn.

https://youtu.be/ELKsB-tjkjA
Nice PM Dawn.:wink:

#44 ·
Recently shifted my attention to the tranny finder from the cafe racer. I’m kinda between a TF 57 or going Simple Pleasures 56. It’s interesting that the volume shifted 56 SP almost matches the specs of the 57 TF. I’m wondering how a board designed intentionally wide in regards to foot size (TF) would handle vs something intentionally designed to be downsized on (SP). The 56 SP wouldn’t be much of a downsize for me since my other boards are 57-58-59.