Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Peak pass thing. I'm not going to upgrade it to an Epic, but I want to use it for more than just my local icy mud hills.

My best bet would be to make an extended trip to Mount Snow this season.

Who's around and knows the terrain well? Who might be able to up the game of a middle-aged intermediate who would cover a bar tab in gratitude?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the Peak pass the last 3 seasons. Not this year though.

Mt Snow is okay. Very very busy on mid-winter weekends. Potentially dangerously busy because they have so much lift capacity for a medium sized mountain, that the trails are usually over crowded.

Best part about it is the snow making (Mt Blow). The can recover from rain about as well as anybody on the east coast.

The terrain is fairly mild for the most part. Steeper terrain on the north face, but those trails are serviced by a slow lift and are usually very icy.

The blues that take you from the Summit to the Blue Bird Express are pretty fun on a snowboard. Decent pitch and snow quality is usually good.

Stay away from Long John, that trail is always crowded with Jerries and can be borderline dangerous on big family weekends.

Always take the Summit Express lift to the summit (if it is running), way shorter lines than the bubble. The Canyon Express lift is also a good option on busy days.

The park is sick.

On powder days, go to the north face and go into the woods on skiers left.

On a good day, I'd definitely prefer Wildcat over Mt Snow, mainly because of crowds.

Hope you like NJ and NYers because Mt Blow is full of them.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have had the Peak pass the last 3 seasons. Not this year though.

Mt Snow is okay. Very very busy on mid-winter weekends. Potentially dangerously busy because they have so much lift capacity for a medium sized mountain, that the trails are usually over crowded.

Hope you like NJ and NYers because Mt Blow is full of them.
Thanks for this helpful summary!

I never ride on weekends so I should be able to avoid jerries, tri-state dickheads and crowd fuckery. But still, I'll look into Wildcat since that's on my pass as well. I was going to make a family visit in Brooklyn part of the road trip so I have to factor that in as well.

Your description sounds like this place is meh for folks with great options but for someone who mostly road trips around the mid-Atlantic it's a superior option. Our three little hills got bought by Peak so they ended the pass and discount card that were in place for years. I had to get a Peak pass or nothing. Then Vail bought Peak and y'all know the rest.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I guess I could modify this request a bit.

If I wanted to use my Peak Pass for somewhere better than the tiny hills I usually go to (Whitetail and Liberty), and maybe visit my nephew in Brooklyn during the course of the same road trip, where should I go?

·
Registered
344 Posts
I guess I could modify this request a bit.

If I wanted to use my Peak Pass for somewhere better than the tiny hills I usually go to (Whitetail and Liberty), and maybe visit my nephew in Brooklyn during the course of the same road trip, where should I go?
I personally love Mt Snow. I have a great time riding there with friends and the park is amazing. I prefer riding midweek so there are virtually no lines. Also, I live in Brooklyn and have no problem making a day trip out of Mt Snow.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Snow is great, Thanks Walt on the sun bowl is maybe my favorite trail of all time. The pitch/width make it amazing for ripping hard fast turns. Roller Coaster when it’s set up is the most fun trail around. Ripcord is a challenge if steeps are your thing.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I personally love Mt Snow. I have a great time riding there with friends and the park is amazing. I prefer riding midweek so there are virtually no lines. Also, I live in Brooklyn and have no problem making a day trip out of Mt Snow.
You do an 8 hour round trip in a day?

·
Registered
346 Posts
That was the rest of the question I forgot to include. Hunter's not so good?
It’s good compared to Mt. Creek lol.
I ride Hunter/Windham about 10 days a year. They are both good places to ride if you can avoid weekend crowds but a noticeable step below what you find in VT.
I plan to try out Bellayre and Plattekill this winter

·
Registered
112 Posts
I think hunter is the way to go if your going from Brooklyn. I can't do the 8+ hour day trip. I give you guys credit that do. If I go to VT I usually spend the night so I can get two solid days in.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think hunter is the way to go if your going from Brooklyn. I can't do the 8+ hour day trip. I give you guys credit that do. If I go to VT I usually spend the night so I can get two solid days in.
Hunter is blowing too, maybe we'll see an opening next week during the polar vortex of doom

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That seems to be the takeaway for my situation. What I may try to do is a bit of a round robin tour. Up to BK to see family, then to Mount Snow for a day or two, down to Hunter for the same, stop in BK again, then back home to MD.

I could manage this without ever seeing either mountain during the weekend crush.

All depends on what I can scare up for lodging at Hunter and Snow. And if my vehicle will be road worthy for an extended trek.

Very useful intel in this thread.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Hunter is probably only an hour closer. 4 days at Snow would be a better use of time than 2 at snow and 2 at Hunter. If you were only doing a day trip I’d say do hunter, otherwise Snow. It’s much better imo. Also Wilmington is fun at night. Stay at the red barn for cheap accommodations.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hunter is probably only an hour closer. 4 days at Snow would be a better use of time than 2 at snow and 2 at Hunter. If you were only doing a day trip I’d say do hunter, otherwise Snow. It’s much better imo. Also Wilmington is fun at night. Stay at the red barn for cheap accommodations.
Can you post the website for the red barn. I can't seem to find it. Thanks

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 20 of 23 Posts