Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Can anyone give an idea of the drive from BK to Wilmington, and from Wilmington to Mt. Snow? After I-95, is it major plowed thoroughfares or smaller country (and icy) roads? I'm trying to determine if any standard FWD vehicle will suffice in February or if I need something beefier to be safe.

I've driven my good 'ol AWD CRV through snow storms in WV and PA with nice tires but it's getting up there in mileage and I might rent something for this trip.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can anyone give an idea of the drive from BK to Wilmington, and from Wilmington to Mt. Snow? After I-95, is it major plowed thoroughfares or smaller country (and icy) roads? I'm trying to determine if any standard FWD vehicle will suffice in February or if I need something beefier to be safe.

I've driven my good 'ol AWD CRV through snow storms in WV and PA with nice tires but it's getting up there in mileage and I might rent something for this trip.
you can get snow tires for your front wheel drive car. Will do just fine

·
Registered
532 Posts
wilmington Is 10-15 minutes from Snow. I’d imagine it’s a 4hr drive from BK. Once you get up there just be careful not to end up on any dirt aka mud roads - they can be pretty terrible - but February is pre “mud season” so you probably won’t encounter that. As far as renting, look into using Turo. You can choose a car with AWD if your concerned.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I went to hunter for the first time last year and I will never go back. It is packed and I thought the terrain sucked.
If you are driving that far its 100% worth the extra hour to VT (I love stratton for this)
If you want to ride ny id pick bellayre over hunter.
And to the OP... Take your crv, it's a Honda they don't die!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I have an old acura TL that's fwd. I couldn't get up the tiny hill to my house in the snow on all seasons.

With winter tires, I was driving around Vermont in the snow when I was taking lessons at bolton valley. Had to be careful but I was more limited by ride height.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Hunters terrain is steep and weird. Mount snow is defiantly better, but it’s an hour and a half further from me than hunter. That’s three extra hours in the car.

That being said, last season was the worst I have seen hunter. The rollercoaster weather played a part. Mount snow definitely skis bigger than hunter despite not having much more vert. Better snow, better and more glades.

Hunter feels more manufactured, especially with all of the wooden fences on sides of trails, and the trails themselves being blasted with dynamite out of the cliffs. You are always exposed. The new trails at hunter are much better and add quite a bit to the hill.

Mount snow feels traditional, like you are riding down a mountain instead of a rock quarry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
532 Posts
That’s a really good way to describe Hunter actually. Even Windham feels more traditional even though it’s trails are basically the same - Steep and narrow - last season however I had a very different experience at hunter than you did. I only went during snowstorms on weekdays. It was actually the best Hunter experiences I’ve ever had.

·
Registered
451 Posts
I’ve been to Hunter once. Holiday weekend. BRUTAL lines up the main face. But I thought the terrain was pretty fun on the west side. For some reason that Far East lift wasn’t running, which fueled the crowds even more. But I would definitely go back for day trip from CT. In fact it’s on our list this year with epic pass.

Mount snow has cool terrain too but more focused on intermediate trails. It can get crowded too.

For either mountain, would be better to ride 8-10, smoke a joint, eat chili, then ride again 2-4.

BTW I drive all conditions in our beater 2005 CRV. That thing is a beast in the snow. It won’t die.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts