Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna ask this, because I normally don't wear socks riding. So I'm wondering whether anybody here does this also. If so, how long have you been doing this, what boots, and why?

It's pretty rare, I think I've run into two people total who weren't wearing socks with their boots.

My boots are 32 Lashed boots, and after a few days where they were really a bit too tight, they fit perfectly, albeit the Aegis stuff obviously didn't work and they have managed to get pretty smelly and disgusting. But warm and comfortable. I guess it's a matter of fit for me- the liners have really molded to my bare foot. I'll wear socks if the weather's really cold, though, like on some of those frozen days in CO.

I updated to TM-2 boots, which were a half size bigger, and my feet are somewhat colder.

Might be good to get a bunch of us together, that way nobody complains about smelly boots in the car, haha.

B

·
0 Posts
doesn't sound like a good idea.
you're feet will just make your boots stink like crazy and i dont see how your feet stay warm

·
Registered
327 Posts
Are you using snowboarding / ski / athletic socks, or are you just throwing on regular tube socks in there? I can't imagine proper socks affecting fit that dramatically (maybe a LITTLE bit, but not to the point of foregoing socks).

Why not get some super thin socks? I know Superfeet sells some insanely thin socks that might as well not even be there as far as fit is concerned.

I see a lot of downsides to nixing socks. For one, boots are a pain to get on without socks... socks let you slide in there much more easily since bare skin is very "grabby" in comparison to nylon or wool. Two, you are more likely to get blisters without that one protective layer. Three, it's cold. Four, your boots must stink up a freaking storm.
I mean if it really, really is the only thing that works for you, then fine, but socks can get so thin I can't see how it'd be totally necessary.

·
Registered
626 Posts
haha ive never heard of this. i go barefoot with my hockey skates but i cant imagine it with boots:laugh: what ever works though:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2,420 Posts
I new one guy that did, a big stinky hippie with gross hippie feet. I feel gross just wearing my shoes without socks for any length of time never mind sweating the shit out of my feet for hours in a warm boot.
Hockey skates are not much better either.
The only footwear you shouldent wear socks with is flip flops and sandles...unless of course your German.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Whatsa matter with normal crew socks? :cheeky4:

I normally wear two pair of socks in snowboard boots. I stay out forever, and my toes get cold. Karate shoes and track spikes don't get socks though. They get RANK! If you can remove and wash your liners it might not get too bad...

·
Registered
535 Posts
I've worn my normal shoes for a couple days without socks and they were to the point that I couldn't get the smell out. I can't imagine what going without in my snowboard boots would do.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I rode a couple seasons without socks - when I used to play hockey I skated without socks, too. A lot of guys around here did. You get better "feel" on the ice. And I think you get better "feel" on a board, too, but it's certainly possible that it's all in your head.

Put the kibosh on it because as some ppl have noted, it definitely makes your boots stink like hell.

Never had a problem getting cold, though. Then again, I ride with gym shorts under shell pants (no insulation). I know some people who put on sweats under a fully insulated pant. My lower body just never really gets cold when I'm riding...

I usually get a few pairs of under armour football socks, you know the knee-high ones, and use those for riding. They're thin, and moisture wicking which IMO is the most important feature.. If your boot isn't keeping your foot warm, a sock probably isn't going to help very much. I never understand people who wear two pair of socks. Do you buy a size bigger boot? Don't the socks get all bunched up on you? (I did this when I was like 11 years old and the socks balled up under my toes & stuff). How is it comfortable to wear two socks? Do you wear two rubbers when you ... nevermind :)

S

·
0 Posts
Whatsa matter with normal crew socks? :cheeky4:

I normally wear two pair of socks in snowboard boots. I stay out forever, and my toes get cold. Karate shoes and track spikes don't get socks though. They get RANK! If you can remove and wash your liners it might not get too bad...
They get cold cause your wearing 2 pairs of ocks lol. Go get some boarding socks, 32 socks, the ones made from bamboo are pretty legit. And dont crank your toe strap down so tight. There ya go, warm toes.

·
Registered
327 Posts
^^
That. Doubling down on normal socks is a bad idea since A.) you are increasing the possibility of pressure points, especially if you are using two separate layers and B.) most likely your regular crew socks are made of cotton, which is not moisture wicking and retains moisture. By the end of the day you're basically stewing in rags drenched inyour own sweat.

You don't necessarily need snowboard / ski socks, but you should be using something that stays tight and is moisture wicking, like the football socks david_z mentioned.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I rode a couple seasons without socks - when I used to play hockey I skated without socks, too. A lot of guys around here did. You get better "feel" on the ice. And I think you get better "feel" on a board, too, but it's certainly possible that it's all in your head.

Put the kibosh on it because as some ppl have noted, it definitely makes your boots stink like hell.
Good to hear you also rocked the boots barefoot for a couple seasons- out of curiosity what boots were you using and how many days did you put on them? Did you do anything to control the smell? I admittedly don't really do anything, I've had the misfortune of leaving the boots in my board bag for a couple of days after riding, which is not exactly a good thing to do.

I also don't really have a problem with cold feet. Wearing two pairs of socks is probably going to make your feet colder than going without socks, in addition to badly fitting boots, and cotton is a definite no-no. Also some people crank their bindings so tight they end up with numb feet.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
I think you need to go find yourself a nice pair of snow socks. Go look at some Smart Wools and Under Armour snow socks. I like my UA socks because they are only thick around the toe and heel areas so they are very comfortable. Plus they fit a little more snug in those areas too which gives you like this constant massage feeling.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Good to hear you also rocked the boots barefoot for a couple seasons- out of curiosity what boots were you using and how many days did you put on them?
All told, rode 4 seasons, which probably was 60-70 days. They were ThirtyTwo TM2 from '05 season I think.

Did you do anything to control the smell? I admittedly don't really do anything, I've had the misfortune of leaving the boots in my board bag for a couple of days after riding, which is not exactly a good thing to do.
I did not. The boots had an antimicrobial liner, but that stopped working after the second season I think. Admittedly, I'm terrible at taking care of things, so they got put away wet more times than not. A little febreeze I think will go a long way, I'm lookign to take better care of my new ones.
I also don't really have a problem with cold feet. Wearing two pairs of socks is probably going to make your feet colder than going without socks, in addition to badly fitting boots, and cotton is a definite no-no. Also some people crank their bindings so tight they end up with numb feet.
Yeah. I stick with the UA socks for now, if for no other reason than it's much easier to get into and out of the boot.

V

·
0 Posts
I actually tried wearing boots without socks this past weekend. It was comfortable, warm, and I preferred it to wearing socks. I wear Ride Anthem Boa’s.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts