Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Maybe this belongs in another forum, but it looks like this one gets the most traffic.

Just wanted to see how many of you here have experience snowboarding outside the country, and which places are on your list? Which places have you been to and recommend / don't recommend? Or okay, maybe even outside of your local mountain?

·
Registered
224 Posts
In sweden: Åre (northern europe's biggest i believe). Huge resort with a nice terrain park.
Norway: Trysil (the biggest), the biggest and most snowboard-friendly resort in Norway. its awesome there, insanly many pro's there.
then we got the other big ones, all of them within 2 hr drive from my front door. love that :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Outside of the US and Canada I have only been to Verbier Switzerland, which was awesome... except for the broken wrist.

I am hoping to check out the French Alps this season... maybe Val d'Isère if plans work out.

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
I go to Hokkaido every winter to get 40+ days in. Backcountry for about 30 days. The rest at a resort that lets you go off-piste. Then again, I go to Hokkaido because I am from Taiwan, where it doesn't snow. If I was still living in the US, I would still go to Hokkaido every year for their super dry powder.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Snowboarded in France, Italy, Austria, Switzerland, Japan, Scotland. European resorts are totally different to North America they have massive infrastructure miles of groomers and most resorts are ski in/out. If you're looking at going Mayrhofen in Austria would be a good shout, great terrain access to several areas on the full area lift pass and the apres is great.

·
Registered
284 Posts
uk, france, slovakia, bulgaria, canada & japan (honshu, hokkaido)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Chile: El Colorado, La Parva, Valle Nevado and Nevado De Chillan. It was a guided trip and I had such a blast. Hard to choose which spot was best.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Italy, France, Austria, and Switzerland. The best one so far has been Passo del Tonale in Italy I think, lot of km of pistes and freedom to decide where to “explore”.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,415 Posts
Home range are the Bernese Alps. Been to USA (Alaska, Colorado, Oregon), Japan, Norway Lyngen Alps, and Svalbard.
It's a very, very great experience to venture into such different places, to discover how different the snow and terrain is, how different the cultures are... from après to tailgating to onsen to eating the self caught cod, from light fluffy snow to steep gnarly terrain to aurora watching after skinning... every corner has its own charm, its own type of mountain, its own beauty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Outside of NA I just did chamonix in France , Zermatt in Switzerland and loved it ........ obv it goes without saying they’re world class places and I highly recommend them ...... ontop of the hills you get the culture , history and awesome ladies !!!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I've rode in Germany, Austria, Lithuania, Latvia, Poland, Czech Republic and South Korea. Austria is the best place I've been, I have gone back almost every season since 2001.

Was hoping to add Argentina to the list this summer but Corona life shit all over that.

I'm American and have never rode in America :LOL:

·
Registered
126 Posts
To be honest, I don't really have any desire to try the U.S. From what I have gathered it's extremely expensive compared to Austria. Add that to all the rules, the resort police and over crowding and it doesn't really make sense.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ya it’s not cheap lol I once paid close to 200us for a ticket in aspen at snow mass so that’s like a million canadian lol

euro is better price on tickets but added cost of getting there ....

I’d suggest Jackson hole if you like backcountry ....... I’m fan of out of bounds and getting away from traffic jam groomers ...... it’s diff vibe than euro but still world class ...... plus Wyoming is awesome for animal adventures ..... bison just chillin .....the lady situation tho isn’t great lol dudes for dayz there lol

·
Registered
126 Posts
A single day ticket where I stay for 20/21 season is 50 euros (59 US dollars) I stay for a minimum three weeks two times a season and spend 700 euros (824 USD) on a season ticket. Ends up being less than 20 bucks a day to get on the hill. I can also get a very nice full one bedroom apartment that's a five minute walk to the lift for 90 euros (105 UD) per night. Half liter beers on the mountain are five euros. I think that even with a ticket from the US to Austria it's cheaper to have a shred trip in the Alps.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Weirdly, the only place outside US/CA for me is Dubai.

·
Premium Member
1,282 Posts
Not being from North America I should be able to include USA/CA in my travel list ;) Also this thread is from 2010 so fuck the rules.

NZ (all over), Austria (Mayrhofen), Switzerland (Zermatt), France (Chamonix), USA (Aspen), Canada (all over BC)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts