Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a close call last week while riding and It got me thinking about the about the whole no helmet thing.

I have been riding for almost 14 years (since I was a kid) and in this whole time never wore a helmet. I have been pretty lucky so far and haven't had any serious injuries aside for a pretty bad bump to the head when I was in the sixth grade.

Last week I took a pretty good tumble riding through some trees. I didn't get hurt but if I fell 6" in the other direction, the back of my had would have hit a tree trunk HARD.

I have been thinking about the close call ever since and I think I'm going to use these end of season sales to buy a helmet for myself and one for the gf.

I think most people on here wear helmets while they ride. Most guys I grew up snowboarding with who now wear helmets because they either had an injury or a close call. I'm curious what made you guys start wearing a helmet? Have you always wore one, parents made you, or did you learn the hard way?

·
Premium Member
3,157 Posts
High velocity and the fact that I have children that I'd like to remember when I get old.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I wore a helmet randomly my first year. It was warmer than my hat, so I would wear it on cold days. One day without it, I had slipped on some ice and didn't hit my head, but was just sitting down on the ice patch in a flat area. I simply laid back (imagine a snow angel with a board on) and my head hit the ice. It was NOT hard by any means, but it did not feel good. I thought to myself, if it was that uncomfortable for my head to hit the ice while slowly laying down in a relaxing manner, imagine how bad it would be if I fell while actually riding.

I've worn one every day after that.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Was easier than headphones and the protection against cutting my head open was a plus.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Well, I actually always wanted one. I searched high and low for one that fit and couldn't find any. I have a huge head, but its size is in the width. XXL helmets were comfortably fitting width-wise, but were too long leaving a ton of room in the front and back.

So I gave up and just rode. Couple seasons in and I hit the back of my head hard off a failed jump. I was dizzy and nauseated the rest of the day. I only had a mild concussion thankfully. Needless to say, I found a helmet that fit soon after. Never looked back. I feel naked without it now and can't imagine riding like that.

But I don't go all gung-ho because I have a helmet (and impact shorts). It's just an extra step I take because it doesn't hurt anything to wear one. Besides, it's really useful in the trees... damn branches.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Had to wear one for my first lesson and it was a revelation. The warmest most comfortable doesn't move about on my head ever. If only it was socially acceptable for very day use. Plus protects against head injuries.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When I first strapped a deck to me feet, hurtling down a frozen hill lined with trees. Seemed like a smart thing to do. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I got started in brain damage characterization and diagnosis back in college as a cool research topic (we had access to very high resolution PET and MRI scanners) and a lot of what we studied was trauma in athletes (including but not limited to NFL and NHL players). You see the result of repeated trauma and it becomes *very* tangible. Up until then I had been riding without a helmet and never had any bad hits, but I knew that due to my time spent cycling (BMX) and boarding, it was more of a "when", versus an "if."

I was going up to Bear for some spring park laps one weekend. The night before I had a feeling, and went to Sport Chalet. Picked up a cool-looking Red Mutiny II in blue (kinda like a Dodger helmet) and that was that. The next day, I was over-rotating on a jump, ended up landing bad, hit my head *hard* and came out of it without a concussion. Fractured my wrist though, but compared to a TBI, I was pretty stoked about how it ended.

Live and learn and buy helmets galore.

·
Premium Member
2,936 Posts
Habit. I wore a helmet for bicycling around the city so figured why not for snowboarding. Not to mention it's way warmer than a hat. I've smoked my head a few times wearing a helmet, both snowboarding and longboarding and lived to tell the tale, sort of. Without it though, there's a fairly good chance I'd be dead by now.

·
Registered
756 Posts
I bought it for riding through thick trees for the most part, It's awesome not having to worry about tiny branches stealing my hat and shit.
Also to mount the go-pro on. I kinda like wearing it now with the tunes, it's cozy. I use it 70% of the time.

Have you guys really had that many head injuries from snowboarding?
I've had one from Mountain Biking, snowboarding I've had mostly ribs/elbows/wrist and knee injuries.

I really don't think falling at high speeds is that bad unless you slam your body into a object that don't move, then PPE really don't help much. You just tumble around until you can dig an edge in or get back on track. I worry more about Boxes and rails.

And Oh boy.. Another one of these threads.

·
Premium Member
6,213 Posts
Come on Leo, hit me up the next time you are out west and we'll go fast.

Sunny days help.
I think you have a point there though. A lot of my fear probably comes from:

1) Man-made crap under me while going 50

2) Dodging plenty of meat on the way down

3) Short length of run which means I have less time to pick up more speed and also less time to slow back down

I might hit over 50 out west and not even realize it on a wide open, uncrowded run with good snow and blue skies.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I started wearing one the day I realized I wouldnt be happy just cruising groomers.... Although there is something to be said about being more reckless when you have protection. I have hit my head at least 3 times per season really hard with my helmet on but zero times when I didnt have it.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts