Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas,

I've been riding the Gnu RC for 3 years now.... unfortunally, when i was coming back home from my last trip (Utah) on march 2013, the people from American Airlines managed to take a huge slice of my board, making it look like it was bitten buy a shark...

I'm looking for a new board... and I was wondering which one would carve better.... the PROTO or the Rider's Choice... I think in all others aspects they'd pretty much act very similar, right?!

Any inputs would be very appreciated... thanks!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Neither one is meant for laying trenches, but they are both serviceable. But yeah, they're probably pretty close to each other in regards to how they handle a good carve.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I guess the Proto. The full pickle tech Gnu is now using is shit. Making the core softer on the heelside is a step backwards. It makes your heelside too mushy and even with magnetraction I washed out when I really tried to dig into a heelside turn.

If it were me though I wouldn't be looking at either. Much better boards out there in my experience.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the answers...

Nivek, I really need a quiver killer.... What's your suggestions for an all mountain freestyle board?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
If I wanted a board to ride steep powder in the morning, park in the afternoon, and midnight jib mission all on one board I'd look at the Flow Era, K2 Happy Hour, Arbor Blacklist, Yes Jackpot, Signal Freedom Machine Camber or Flat, Salomon Villain or Time Machine, Bataleon Whatever, Nitro Rook, or an Echelon Orion. Some of those are better in the morning, afternoon, or night, but all are capable everywhere.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
If I wanted a board to ride steep powder in the morning, park in the afternoon, and midnight jib mission all on one board I'd look at the Flow Era, K2 Happy Hour, Arbor Blacklist, Yes Jackpot, Signal Freedom Machine Camber or Flat, Salomon Villain or Time Machine, Bataleon Whatever, Nitro Rook, or an Echelon Orion. Some of those are better in the morning, afternoon, or night, but all are capable everywhere.
Slowly inching towards a K2 Happy Hour (wanted a Proto but thinking of branching out plus my buddy has one I can ride if I want).

Just deciding whether I want a 151 or 154 (145 lbs). It'll be for riding in bounds (but maybe off trail) in Mammoth etc.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Slowly inching towards a K2 Happy Hour (wanted a Proto but thinking of branching out plus my buddy has one I can ride if I want).

Just deciding whether I want a 151 or 154 (145 lbs). It'll be for riding in bounds (but maybe off trail) in Mammoth etc.
Hitting much park?

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
What if you wanted to do all that, but also wanted magnetraction and a sintered base?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
What if you wanted to do all that, but also wanted magnetraction and a sintered base?
Smokin Buck Ferton or Grass Roots are really the only options. I haven't ridden either though so I can't say if they're any good.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Smokin Buck Ferton or Grass Roots are really the only options. I haven't ridden either though so I can't say if they're any good.
Cool, I was looking at those as an alternative to mervin. Hard to find retailers though, and I don't want to pay full price. Way easier to find old stock/blems/etc for mervin boards. They're a little overpriced for what you get to begin with though so maybe it's all the same.

Rossi has some, but I've never really heard anything about their boards, and don't know if it fits the rest of that list.

Is there really nothing at all from mervin that fits the bill? They're all so bad that you can suggest looking at the smokin boards without ever having been on one?

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Rossi has some, but I've never really heard anything about their boards, and don't know if it fits the rest of that list.
Nothing with magne soft enough for what you want.

Is there really nothing at all from mervin that fits the bill? They're all so bad that you can suggest looking at the smokin boards without ever having been on one?
Pretty much. The only ones soft enough to be any fun on a jib are the Box Scratcher, Pickle, and Banana. None will be the stable in the morning or on jumps, and anything that will be won't be that fun on jibs. It's a result of only using center reverse. The closest you'll get is either the Metal Guru, which I haven't ridden, or the TRS. But for the price you'll pay even for a blem you can find something that rides better. If they made a Banana with C3 it might be pretty good...

·
Premium Member
769 Posts

Pretty much. The only ones soft enough to be any fun on a jib are the Box Scratcher, Pickle, and Banana. None will be the stable in the morning or on jumps, and anything that will be won't be that fun on jibs. It's a result of only using center reverse. The closest you'll get is either the Metal Guru, which I haven't ridden, or the TRS. But for the price you'll pay even for a blem you can find something that rides better. If they made a Banana with C3 it might be pretty good...
What about Slash Park? I don't know how "traction bumps" compares to magnetraction or if it's the same thing, but it's soft and has camber center. I've seen it compared to some of the others in your list. Any downsides to that one? Or is it too soft?

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
Not that I actually know what I'm taking about, but not even the Rossignol Templar? It's supposed to be pretty soft.

·
Banned
1,966 Posts

I would say the Riders Choice qualifies, or the Hot Knife with C3. Also the TRS, other than the sintered/extruded base - which most people cannot tell apart anyway.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
I would say the Riders Choice qualifies, or the Hot Knife with C3. Also the TRS, other than the sintered/extruded base - which most people cannot tell apart anyway.
Hot knife is too much board in my opinion the RC is using their terrible asym core. And I already mentioned the TRS.

The templar is more all mohntain than anything else. Not really a quiver of one deck.

And I haven't ridden a single Slash yet. No clue if they're any good.

·
Premium Member
951 Posts
...is more all mohntain than anything else. Not really a quiver of one deck.
(On a side note...am I the only one finding this statement a little peculiar?)

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
Hot knife is too much board in my opinion the RC is using their terrible asym core. And I already mentioned the TRS.

The templar is more all mohntain than anything else. Not really a quiver of one deck.

And I haven't ridden a single Slash yet. No clue if they're any good.
Hot Knife really not more board than the TRS/RC - it is just the camber profile that gives that impression.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
(On a side note...am I the only one finding this statement a little peculiar?)
I guess that's depends on your definition of one board quiver. For me 90% of the time that means true twin. If you're more a 70/30 split all mountain/park then the Templar would fit better. The OP has given me the impression more of a 50/50 split.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts