Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working at a ski resort for the season in Canada and learning to snowboard. The board I have is 21 years old and originally from Costco. I have been having an urge to upgrade but I'm not sure if this board will actually be holding me back or making things harder. Simone local is selling a slash happy place board for $170 and that had me tempted. I have had 4 2 hour lessons and been out a few times on my own. Managing to link turns and trying to get my technique right at the moment.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Buy the Slash or literally anything else. It will hold you back and could cause injury/death.

Seriously though, you will learn faster on a decent board. You don't need to spend a fortune but I'm assuming if you are living in a ski resort in Canada you can probably afford a snowboard. That and some well fitting boots will make your life way more enjoyable.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Was Costco even around 21 years ago? As mentioned above, ditch the board, if you are on a budget, pick up something used that is less than 2 years old and for sure, get new boots that fit you well. If you are at a ski resort, should not be a problem.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Did that board even cut it 21 years ago? You should have no problems finding good deals on used gear where your at.

·
Registered
234 Posts
You would be saving money to have an out of date low end board hurt you and hold you back from progressing. Maybe if you're on some sort of 500 foot hill you'll be ok but I wouldn't touch a real mountain with a board like that.

·
Registered
76 Posts
my 15+ year old Never summer heritage cuts it very well. Allot of Burint Floaters are still awesome decks. they can all hold there own and still outperform a bunch of new cheaper deck of today. Yes, allot of newer boards today are worth the $$$. if you're gonna ride more than 2-3 a year get a new one and enjoy decades of new tech !

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,933 Posts
I’m curious as Costco has never made or branded a snowboard, who actually made it? Any chance you have pics?
Seconding this. I think we'd all like to see this board. Does it even have metal edges? I remember Walmart selling snowboards for children for a while, and they literally didn't have edges.

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts

Found this... doesn't really help tho

·
Registered
1,502 Posts

Found this... doesn't really help tho
This one was definitely a toy. Anytime bindings are included you know it’s not a real setup. The one you linked was 2009, I’ll be interested to see if it’s the same one op referenced or if there was another one offered in the late 90s

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the replies. It's not really what I was expecting but it made me laugh. My instructor didn't say that it was supposedly so dangerous. It's a Jobe made in the USA board, it's the oldest design made in 1999. I found a post from years back where the guy said he knew the design process and it was meant to have been made to a high quality. It does have metal edges and apart from the graphics I would never have guessed the age. It still springs back a lot when you press the middle. It is heavily cambered and I do wonder if that's making me catch my edge more than a modern board. It seems sturdy enough and there are no major dings on the base

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This one was definitely a toy. Anytime bindings are included you know it’s not a real setup. The one you linked was 2009, I’ll be interested to see if it’s the same one op referenced or if there was another one offered in the late 90s
Definitely not the same one although the one I have did also come with bindings.

·
Registered
194 Posts
wow yeah it's worse than what I was picturing in my head. Pictures have only confirmed that you absolutely need to throw that in a dumpster and get a new board.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow you guys are really hating on it haha. Would that slash happy place board be a decent entry point for me at under $200 secondhand

1 - 20 of 35 Posts