Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·

Jobe Snowboards/Bindings ???
Subscribe

james....@lmco.com's profile photo

[email protected]
2/12/99
Anyone have any experience with this company? They sell these boards premounted with ratchet bindings

hardie.mohrlang's profile photo

hardie.mohrlang
2/12/99
to
Here's what HO Sports had to day about the boards. They manufacturer Jobe
snowboards. I was curious too and wrote the company after finding the HO
Sports logo on the board.
RESPONSE TO FIRST EMAIL:
Mark,
Thanks for inquiring about our snowboards. We have been making snowboards
for about five years under various brands. We have made boards under many
brand names such as Type A, Evol, Naked, Hyperlite and Jobe. The boards
are
made in the same presses that make our wakeboards for Hyperlite. These
presses are much bigger and have much more pressure then needed for
snowboards. Most companies that use a wet wrap set up like we do, don't
have the pressure available in the presses to squeze out the resin like we
do. Therefore, we get the benefits of using a wet wrap layup but also get
a
light board.
All our boards are full tip to tail and side to side wood cores. They
have
360 degree wrapped edges and PBT tops. The boards are very good.
Let me know if you need any additional info.
Thanks again,
Brian
RESPONSE TO MY SECOND EMAIL
Mark,
The thing about selling to Cost-co, is the perception that people have
about
the quality or level of performance an item may have because they sell
things so CHEAP. Their concept of charging a membership fee and then
selling at a very reduced margin is fantastic for most people.
The Jobe boards that they are selling are intermediate to advanced in
performance. A true beginner board would be much softer to help you turn
without catching an edge. The Jobe boards are on the stiffer side and
would
be great for your notorious hardpack. We have the same hardpack here, we
call it Cascade concrete. The Jobe boards are also a "directional twin".
This means that the stance is back from center about an inch and the tip
is
wider and the tail a little stiffer. This gives you more of an cruiser
board and not a pipe board. I know that seems very convenient, because
that's the style you have but its true.
The bindings on the board are also excellent. They have a lifetime
warranty. The double stainless racketed foot straps make it much easier
to
tighten and don't slip at all.
Normal retail for one of our blank boards is around $350.00.
Brian
__
One of my office buddies bought the 160cm. I haven't ridden with him yet,
so I don't know how he likes it. My research suggests these are identical
to Hyperlite Steep series boards. You can't beat the price, eh? You
decide ...
The Binary Edge

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Definitely not the same one although the one I have did also come with bindings.
It may have come to you with bindings, look like flux to me; but it wasn't originally sold with generic bindings, or the bindings on there now. At the time it was an entry level board. It looks like it is in good condition and there is absolutely nothing that will keep you from riding it downhill. That said your progression will definitely be easier on an appropriate modern board. If I'm honest the happy place wouldn't be my choice for a deck, but I do think the RCR profile and softer core of the happy place will make learning easier for you. You may find you grow out of it in a season or 2 unless you want to ride park. There's absolutely nothing wrong with advancing past a board, as its part of the process of developing your riding. I wouldn't suggest starting out by, buying the board for the rider you want to be in a few years from now, but rather buy a board that will help you get to be the rider you want to be faster.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
It may have come to you with bindings, look like flux to me; but it wasn't originally sold with generic bindings, or the bindings on there now. At the time it was an entry level board. It looks like it is in good condition and there is absolutely nothing that will keep you from riding it downhill. That said your progression will definitely be easier on an appropriate modern board. If I'm honest the happy place wouldn't be my choice for a deck, but I do think the RCR profile and softer core of the happy place will make learning easier for you. You may find you grow out of it in a season or 2 unless you want to ride park. There's absolutely nothing wrong with advancing past a board, as its part of the process of developing your riding. I wouldn't suggest starting out by, buying the board for the rider you want to be in a few years from now, but rather buy a board that will help you get to be the rider you want to be faster.
There doesn't seem to be many other boards for sale up here secondhand within my budget. I only want a board for the season. I bought the flux bindings for it as it had the originals on it when I bought it. The condition does seem pretty good considering its older than a lot of people on the slopes

·
Premium Member
2,660 Posts
Wow you guys are really hating on it haha. Would that slash happy place board be a decent entry point for me at under $200 secondhand
I'll admit I had to google it, a 19/20 model is $309 USD new from last year and like $466 brand new... So depending on the year and condition it might be alright. Be a good time to ask if you plan on riding park or not?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I'll admit I had to google it, a 19/20 model is $309 USD new from last year and like $466 brand new... So depending on the year and condition it might be alright. Be a good time to ask if you plan on riding park or not?
I don't plan on riding park and it's the 2018 model. I just wanted something fun and better than I have

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
The slash overall is better than what you have. I think you know this, but are trying to justify not spending more money. The jobe was a bad buy, move on and write it up as a lesson learned. You can learn on the jobe, it will never be a good board by any standard and will make learning harder. This doesn't mean it won't ride and you can't learn on it, but it does mean you'll work harder than you need to, to do those things

·
Registered
193 Posts
Get rid of that thing. Slash are designed and run by Gigi Ruf, one of the best snowboarders to ever do it. I don't know what Costco is as I'm European but I would guess its a big box discount store like Walmart. Who do you think makes better snowboards? Or even ones that function properly? What do you want to spend your first season riding?
This is the definition of a 'no brainer' decision.
Also, regarding spending a season up there: snowboarders are mostly superficial dicks. You'll get to know more people, more quickly on the hill if you don't ride a 20 year old board from a supermarket. Kind of joking here but not really :)

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Was Costco even around 21 years ago? As mentioned above, ditch the board, if you are on a budget, pick up something used that is less than 2 years old and for sure, get new boots that fit you well. If you are at a ski resort, should not be a problem.
Yes, and their hotdog/soda combos are still the same $1.50 since 1985!

For the fun of it you could return it and get your money back if you have the receipt.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
6,935 Posts
There doesn't seem to be many other boards for sale up here secondhand within my budget. I only want a board for the season. I bought the flux bindings for it as it had the originals on it when I bought it. The condition does seem pretty good considering its older than a lot of people on the slopes
Yeah, that's a problem this year. Stuff is getting scooped up as fast as it goes up for sale. We've had a number of five and ten year old threads re-opened as people join up just to check if the items are still for sale.

Under normal circumstances, I wouldn't touch a board that old. But if it's a choice of that board or no board, that board is better than no board.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
I’m curious as Costco has never made or branded a snowboard, who actually made it? Any chance you have pics?
Costco has sold both Ride and Burton boards in the past... 15 or so years ago. Lately I see some no name brands pop up with modern specs but really cheap. Could be decent for beginners.

·
Registered
541 Posts
So probably too late to influence this particular's poster's concerns 3 months later, but I'll say that I've seen some right fucking RIPPERS on absolutely antiquated equipment. Ultimately riding is about the carpenter and not the tools.

That said, if you're going to be moving to a mountain town and riding a lot, i.e. spending a lot of time in the workshop building a lot of furniture... invest in decent tools.

·
Registered
Custom Camber 158, Skeleton Key 158, Blur 159, National 156, Stale Fish 153, Alpha 158 - 8 Photon SO
434 Posts
So probably too late to influence this particular's poster's concerns 3 months later, but I'll say that I've seen some right fucking RIPPERS on absolutely antiquated equipment. Ultimately riding is about the carpenter and not the tools.

That said, if you're going to be moving to a mountain town and riding a lot, i.e. spending a lot of time in the workshop building a lot of furniture... invest in decent tools.
Wise words!

21 - 35 of 35 Posts