Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, My area finally got a trapmoline park. My kids have been there a few times. I just saw it last night.

What I was wondering is if this set-up would allow me to work on my spins. Obviously I would need to run, plant in my goofy stance then push off and spin. Not sure if this would really help me or not. Any thoughts???

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).

·
Registered
393 Posts
I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).
Do you have a local snowboard/skateboard training park? Or is it just a gymnastics center? What does tramp training cost (and entail)?

EDIT: Also, would they allow you to strap a skate deck on your feet and use that on the tramps?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not working on inverts and wont be. I will be extremely happy to just spin 3's. I may try this, they don't have instructors around here for teh boarding aspect but I"m sure I could get some pointers from people.

I may actually just try this for a few hours... If I do I'll post some pics and info

·
Premium Member
342 Posts

I'm thinking of buying a backyard trampoline for this. I live so far from places that have them it would pay for itself in a few lessons I think. I was looking at maybe an 8' X 14' rectangle one.

For some reason I really want to learn a backflip. Not real sure why a 39 year old needs to learn that, but I'm determined to learn one. Mainly want to be able to do one on the ground, but if I could translate this to snowboarding it would kick ass.

If I got one, I would for sure use my skateboard deck with foam around the edges or buy one of the boards designed for tramps. Seems like a fun form of exercise anyway.

Jason

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
Yea, we use trampolines a lot at woodward for dry land training and such. You actually don't want to get a running start or anything like that to spin, ideally you want to be bouncing centered on the tramp and try your spins from there going straight up and back down right were you took off from.

If you find yourself drifting from your starting point a decent amount chances are you are taking off to early and want to wait slightly longer before you initiate the spin.

Once you get comfortable just bouncing in general and spinning try pretending the foam is "down hill" and get in your stance and try the same stuff like you would if you were on snow. So instead of your upper body facing the pit you would have your shoulders perpendicular to it.

If there's anything in particular you are having trouble with or want to work on let me know, I coached people of all ages on the trampolines alllll winter this year at woodward at copper so I picked up a few tips here and there.

·
Registered
947 Posts
very cool but one thing: 3's arent that hard to spin. Even with no basics and just awkwardly hooking you could spin one. hat is hard is doing them big and slow.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
very cool but one thing: 3's arent that hard to spin. Even with no basics and just awkwardly hooking you could spin one. hat is hard is doing them big and slow.
It's all relative, for a lot of people it's not that easy and either way you always want to have the basics down. Otherwise you are just hurting yourself in the long run.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
Do you have a local snowboard/skateboard training park? Or is it just a gymnastics center? What does tramp training cost (and entail)?

EDIT: Also, would they allow you to strap a skate deck on your feet and use that on the tramps?
I just found a small gymnastics club out in Maple Ridge and asked about private lessons. They charged $20 for 1/2 hour, which was good enough for a lesson. They wouldn't like a skate deck, but they'd have been ok with a Bounce Board.

·
Super Moderator
6,330 Posts
For some reason I really want to learn a backflip. Not real sure why a 39 year old needs to learn that, but I'm determined to learn one. Mainly want to be able to do one on the ground, but if I could translate this to snowboarding it would kick ass.
I was seriously looking at a trampoline as well, but we've just sold our house and bought a townhouse, so that's no longer an option. :rolleyes:

There's a gymnastics place closer to home that charges more but they have the suspension straps for learning inverts safely. I'm going to do a couple of lessons with them.

And yeah, I'm 39 too. But I've been 39 for quite a few years :D

·
Registered
31 Posts
just got a tramp at my backyard, and well, it`s big fun.
but trainning spins is quite hard because you`re not able to do something like a setup-turn as you do on any real kickers.

but it`s a great overall-training and you can practice any kind of grabs.

i strap in my normal snowboard. it has detuned edges and i tape them with a lot of ducktape, so they can`t do any kind of damage to the tramp.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
just a heads up

Sorry to be a debbie downer but a good friend of mine had one installed this summer, fell off it onto his ass and got paralyzed from the chest down the first day.

Careful, those trampolines look like no big deal but may be more dangerous than the hill, especially in an uncontrolled environment without foam pits (like your backyard).

·
Registered
141 Posts
just got a tramp at my backyard, and well, it`s big fun.
but trainning spins is quite hard because you`re not able to do something like a setup-turn as you do on any real kickers.

but it`s a great overall-training and you can practice any kind of grabs.

i strap in my normal snowboard. it has detuned edges and i tape them with a lot of ducktape, so they can`t do any kind of damage to the tramp.
Doesn't that do damage to your board though? :dunno:

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Doesn't that do damage to your board though? :dunno:
Not that I've seen.

In my second season I rented a trampoline from the ski/snowboard shop I worked at back then. Duct taped my non-detuned edges, and was doing spins, grabs and kick-flips/heel-flips :D I still have that board and it is fine.

It's super fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
you have to remove some glue from the tape from the base and wax it before you use it the next time on snow, but that`s all. think every rail is damaging a board more than some trampaction. even some stupid skiers in the liftline are more dangerous to a snowboard than a soft tramp :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
I spent an hour at a tramp park in Utah (Snogression) only working on spins on the tramps. After 30 minutes I went from struggling with corking my 360s to being able to do really smooth controlled 720's (a guy was coaching me a bit). When I got back on the hill I was able to throw down some 360's I hadnt been able to do. So yeah it helps. Im too much of a wuss to try anything bigger then a 360 though :/

oh so one of the exercises I did (this is for slyder) do a FS 180 then when you land do an immediate BS 180 once you land do a FS 360, then BS 360, keep adding a 180 rotation once you complete a set. so 180, 180, 360, 360, 540, 540. If you mess up start back at the 180. It worked really well for me.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I highly recommend getting a trampoline to practice your tricks. What I did was take a skateboard deck and screw old bindings onto it and it works great to practice all sorts of tricks. I have a spring free which is a little bit pricier than the normal trampoline but believe me, you get ALOT more air than a normal tramp. The idea of the spring free is that there isn't any springs, it plastic tubes under tension.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I highly recommend getting a trampoline to practice your tricks. What I did was take a skateboard deck and screw old bindings onto it and it works great to practice all sorts of tricks. I have a spring free which is a little bit pricier than the normal trampoline but believe me, you get ALOT more air than a normal tramp. The idea of the spring free is that there isn't any springs, it plastic tubes under tension.

Which one do you have? Recommend a size?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts