Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

will this tramp help with spins??

7K views 35 replies 24 participants last post by  tony10 
#1 ·
Hi guys, My area finally got a trapmoline park. My kids have been there a few times. I just saw it last night.

What I was wondering is if this set-up would allow me to work on my spins. Obviously I would need to run, plant in my goofy stance then push off and spin. Not sure if this would really help me or not. Any thoughts???

See less See more
#2 ·
I started tramp lessons last fall, and I'll be starting up again this spring. I've been just doing exercises straight up and down, i.e. no sideways motion. Couple of things it's been good for -- first, I had a tendency to drop my shoulder and end up with a corked spin. Second, I would "unwind" too early and not be able to complete spins. I'm now able to keep looking over my leading shoulder until the right point.

Basically, it helps you to work on the basics. Also with the foam pit you can get used to inverts. ('m just starting on those).

#4 ·
I'm not working on inverts and wont be. I will be extremely happy to just spin 3's. I may try this, they don't have instructors around here for teh boarding aspect but I"m sure I could get some pointers from people.

I may actually just try this for a few hours... If I do I'll post some pics and info

#6 ·
Yea, we use trampolines a lot at woodward for dry land training and such. You actually don't want to get a running start or anything like that to spin, ideally you want to be bouncing centered on the tramp and try your spins from there going straight up and back down right were you took off from.

If you find yourself drifting from your starting point a decent amount chances are you are taking off to early and want to wait slightly longer before you initiate the spin.

Once you get comfortable just bouncing in general and spinning try pretending the foam is "down hill" and get in your stance and try the same stuff like you would if you were on snow. So instead of your upper body facing the pit you would have your shoulders perpendicular to it.

If there's anything in particular you are having trouble with or want to work on let me know, I coached people of all ages on the trampolines alllll winter this year at woodward at copper so I picked up a few tips here and there.

#11 ·
just got a tramp at my backyard, and well, it`s big fun.
but trainning spins is quite hard because you`re not able to do something like a setup-turn as you do on any real kickers.

but it`s a great overall-training and you can practice any kind of grabs.

i strap in my normal snowboard. it has detuned edges and i tape them with a lot of ducktape, so they can`t do any kind of damage to the tramp.

#14 ·
just got a tramp at my backyard, and well, it`s big fun.
but trainning spins is quite hard because you`re not able to do something like a setup-turn as you do on any real kickers.

but it`s a great overall-training and you can practice any kind of grabs.

i strap in my normal snowboard. it has detuned edges and i tape them with a lot of ducktape, so they can`t do any kind of damage to the tramp.
Doesn't that do damage to your board though? :dunno:

#12 ·
just a heads up

Sorry to be a debbie downer but a good friend of mine had one installed this summer, fell off it onto his ass and got paralyzed from the chest down the first day.

Careful, those trampolines look like no big deal but may be more dangerous than the hill, especially in an uncontrolled environment without foam pits (like your backyard).

#17 ·
you have to remove some glue from the tape from the base and wax it before you use it the next time on snow, but that`s all. think every rail is damaging a board more than some trampaction. even some stupid skiers in the liftline are more dangerous to a snowboard than a soft tramp :)

#18 ·
I spent an hour at a tramp park in Utah (Snogression) only working on spins on the tramps. After 30 minutes I went from struggling with corking my 360s to being able to do really smooth controlled 720's (a guy was coaching me a bit). When I got back on the hill I was able to throw down some 360's I hadnt been able to do. So yeah it helps. Im too much of a wuss to try anything bigger then a 360 though :/

oh so one of the exercises I did (this is for slyder) do a FS 180 then when you land do an immediate BS 180 once you land do a FS 360, then BS 360, keep adding a 180 rotation once you complete a set. so 180, 180, 360, 360, 540, 540. If you mess up start back at the 180. It worked really well for me.

#21 ·
oh so one of the exercises I did (this is for slyder) do a FS 180 then when you land do an immediate BS 180 once you land do a FS 360, then BS 360, keep adding a 180 rotation once you complete a set. so 180, 180, 360, 360, 540, 540. If you mess up start back at the 180. It worked really well for me.
I don't know if I'll go as far as the 5's. On the snow I will be happy with 3's and that is just fine for this ole dad :yahoo:

This is a great tip I will let ya know when I hit the tramp park. My kids go often and I need to drive them so I will be buying some time. Work on the tramp and they also have a nice indoor rock wall. I'll hit them both.

Thanks Cav

#19 ·
I highly recommend getting a trampoline to practice your tricks. What I did was take a skateboard deck and screw old bindings onto it and it works great to practice all sorts of tricks. I have a spring free which is a little bit pricier than the normal trampoline but believe me, you get ALOT more air than a normal tramp. The idea of the spring free is that there isn't any springs, it plastic tubes under tension.

#25 ·
The trampoline sounds like a great idea.. does anyone know how easy they are to break down and if they will fit in an average size sedan (2000 jetta with 12' tramp) I'm lookin at a great deal on Craigslist but don't know if I can actually fit it in the car

#29 ·
My best friend that lives 5 minutes from me has a 14x14ft tramp in his backyard. I've had a ton of time on it including with a practice board made of plywood, pipe insulation, and old bindings. It will help you a lot with your in air control of spins and inverts but setting an edge and starting the spin on the snow is not something that can be practiced on a tramp. I can easily spin 900's on a tramp but spinning a 360 consistently on the snow still escapes me. It drives me insane since I can 540 on flat ground on my rollerblades.

An 8x14ft tramp is a bad idea since you don't know which direction you may go when you start trying off axis stuff. I have flown into the net of my friend's 14x14 after trying a backflip 360.

#32 ·
I can easily spin 900's on a tramp but spinning a 360 consistently on the snow still escapes me.
If your having problems with spinning 9's, Do what I do and use ankle weights equal to or greater than the weight of your board+bindings+boots. Think about it like the old Superman movies where the gravity on his home planet was so strong that he could fly on earth. Movie reference #1

#33 ·
Tramp

Actually the trampoline does help. but not that much when it comes to rotations. you can learn how to do flips, cartwheels, laid back, front flips, backflips, and rodeo. the problem when it comes to rotations is that the movement of the upperbody should be focused on a lot and you have to keep your legs the same way your board and bindings are set up. best place to learn rotations is on flat land. Use the same techniques that you would do on the big booters. but do know the more you can achieve on land, the more you'll be able to pull off dope tricks on kickers and drops!
Cheers everybody

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.