Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
It started last year. They name them if they meet a certain criteria (much like tropical storms/hurricanes). Their main reason for doing it is for better communication. With the help of twitter and hash tags, word tends to spread quick and people become more aware. For instance, Winter Storm Nemo here on the east coast last year blew up social media last year.

·
The Rooster King
3,821 Posts
no. just.... no.

the midwest has way too much fucking time on its hands and not enough hobbies....

in the PNW we call it winter.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed. I mean I chuckled at "Super Storm Sandy" too. It's the remnants of a hurricane. It's like they HAVE to name it so they get federal aid or something. lame.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Agreed. I mean I chuckled at "Super Storm Sandy" too. It's the remnants of a hurricane. It's like they HAVE to name it so they get federal aid or something. lame.
I agree that the whole name thing is kind of dumb, especially for winter storms.. but Sandy was no joke. It was fucking massive and did tons of damage. There's a reason it was the second costliest storm in US history.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh totally, I wasn't trying to laugh about the destruction of people's stuff or anything, it's just the naming thing that's all.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's just a Weather Channel thing, though. Those not associated with them aren't using the names, as far as I know.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It's just a Weather Channel thing, though. Those not associated with them aren't using the names, as far as I know.
It's fully just a Weather Channel thing. The NWS won't even recognize the storm "names". TWC wants better ratings, and naming winter storms helps them get that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts