Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just needing some advice.
I want to do a snow season in Canada. However I'm worried I'll arrive too late to get a job with the mountain. I don't fly into Canada until 23rd November due to uni exams. So I was thinking of doing the working holiday club where they set you up with a job but they've told me Whistler is sold out, which is where I wanted to go. Is it possible to arrive late November and find a job/accom in Whistler?
They're trying to get me to go to Big White, Panorama or kicking horse. I've already done a season at Vail and absolutely loved it and I'm worried I'll find those mountains too small for a whole season.

Mountains I'm also considering just rocking up at to look for working after 23rd Nov Red Mountain, Sunshine Village, Fernie. Any suggestions?

About me - intermediate snowboarder/female/easy going/ loads of hospitality experience

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
Loads of Hospo experience? Start applying for evenings jobs on and off the mountains. Close proximity to the field + evening work leaves your days free to ride. Either at the restaurants and bars at the resorts, or in the local town. I'd be pretty surprised if you couldn't get anything before you were heading over.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I want to do a snow season in Canada. However I'm worried I'll arrive too late to get a job with the mountain. I don't fly into Canada until 23rd November due to uni exams. So I was thinking of doing the working holiday club where they set you up with a job but they've told me Whistler is sold out, which is where I wanted to go. Is it possible to arrive late November and find a job/accom in Whistler?
They're trying to get me to go to Big White, Panorama or kicking horse. I've already done a season at Vail and absolutely loved it and I'm worried I'll find those mountains too small for a whole season.

Mountains I'm also considering just rocking up at to look for working after 23rd Nov Red Mountain, Sunshine Village, Fernie. Any suggestions?

About me - intermediate snowboarder/female/easy going/ loads of hospitality experience
i've done a season in fernie, there is loads to do and you can always do short trips to kimberley and other local hills for variety.

went to red mountain for a few days and they have a lot of terrain too, the town is a bit smaller than fernie.

seasons at either are definitely not going to get boring, there is lots to do. not sure about the job scene in either but there is a local forum for fernie that you may want to check out to get more info (Forum |). red mountain may have something similar ...

·
Registered
6,343 Posts

I've been going to whistler a bit lately.

Just this past Sunday I longboarded around after snowboarding for a couple hours.

This is something I thought when I was riding around, & I'm not makin' this up.:eyetwitch:

Everyone who lives & works there is a weirdo.
No shit, every single person that walks by you can easily tell whether they live there or not.

Green hair, shit in your face, huge holes in your ears, all those people live there.

They all have jobs, or most of them anyway.

If you look normal, better yet hot?

You'll get hired the first place you walk in to.

They'll tell weirdo boy to beat it right then.

Another thing I noticed:eyetwitch2:

If you wear dirty clothes with like a mustard stain on the front, haven't shaved in a month & it looks like you combed your hair with a pork chop.

You'll have a chic on each arm.:eyetwitch:

If you shower, wear clean clothes & don't make people gag when you walk by.

You be playin' captain cord puller every night.:facepalm2:

TT

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
If you wear dirty clothes with like a mustard stain on the front, haven't shaved in a month & it looks like you combed your hair with a pork chop.
TT
I thought grunge & no hygiene went out in the late 90's. I'd take Captain Cord cuz if the guys are like this the girls can't be much better

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Haha. Thanks guys. Its giving me a bit more confidence. I'm pretty normal looking and definitely have above standard hygiene. I generally like to organize things myself, so I'm a bit skeptic about paying a company to find me a job and housing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i've done a season in fernie, there is loads to do and you can always do short trips to kimberley and other local hills for variety.

went to red mountain for a few days and they have a lot of terrain too, the town is a bit smaller than fernie.

seasons at either are definitely not going to get boring, there is lots to do. not sure about the job scene in either but there is a local forum for fernie that you may want to check out to get more info (Forum |). red mountain may have something similar ...
Thanks for the advice. You've done Fernie? Did you work for the mountain? I've heard its not so great for boarders. Is that true? Cheers!

·
Registered
318 Posts
i wasn't working, just doing a 6 week course and then doing my own thing for the rest of the season.

i did meet a bunch of people that did work for and on the mountain, but never got to talk about it with them.

i would recommend speaking to the people at nonstopsnow (Nonstop Ski & Snowboard Instructor Courses and Improvement Camps) as they do stuff all over canada (red mountain and fernie) ... if they can't help you directly they may be able to put you on the right track.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Depends on what you're looking for

Whistler & Banff area are huge resorts with 1000's of tourists, endless terrain and lots of amenities. If you're looking for the 'action,' that's where you want to be.

On the other hand Rossland (Red), Nelson (Whitewater) are small laid back towns with a much more local, ski-bum type vibe. The mountains and the crowds are much smaller and the terrain tends to be more wild / back-country 'ish'

Big White is somewhere in the middle

I've never ridden at Kicking Horse (only been there in the summer), but my guess is its probably a better place to visit when the snow is good. I'm not sure I'd want to live there (Golden) for a whole season.

Personally, I'd vote for Big White (especially as an intermediate) but it depends on what you're looking for.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Thanks for the advice. You've done Fernie? Did you work for the mountain? I've heard its not so great for boarders. Is that true? Cheers!
Not sure who says that, Fernie is probably my favorite hill, as it's lift setup means I spend more time doing vertical than transitioning. There are areas tough to get out of without a large head of steam, but most hills have those types of areas.

I liked Whistler, but not sure I'd like to live there for a season.

For the mountains:

Kicking Horse is an easy drive to Revelstoke, Lake Louise, Panorama, etc. Although I agree with kalev, Golden (the town that Kicking Horse is closest to) is a bit of a dump so not sure I'd want to live there.

The town of Fernie is only close to Castle or Kimberley, but the town itself is pretty cool. Lots of laid back people there, lots to do.

Banff is right in the centre of the action. Close to Sunshine, Lake Louise, Nakiska, Norquay, and an easy drive to Kicking Horse or Panorama, but a bit longer to Revelstoke. The big plus with Banff is that it's 1:20 from Calgary. If you ever get bored of the small town it's easy to come into the city for a bit.

Can't help you on figuring yourself vs. letting a company do it for you. Make sure you read up on the entry requirements before you come here, and it shouldn't be a big deal.

For what it's worth Nakiska seems like they're always hiring. Lifties and patrollers are needed all the time. Not sure it pays very well but there are jobs available, and places to stay.

I wouldn't wait for November. Contact employers now and start working on it. By Dec 1st the season can be almost in full swing here. Nakiska has opened up in October before...

·
Premium Member
Endeavor BOD, Fix Magnum, Burton Driver X
1,833 Posts
I went to Red about the same time 10ish years ago for three months, all the resort jobs were taken by regulars and we ended up shovelling snow and doing odd jobs so we could eat.

Make sure you go to a big enough town so there are job opportunities!

·
Registered
271 Posts
I've been going to whistler a bit lately.

Just this past Sunday I longboarded around after snowboarding for a couple hours.

This is something I thought when I was riding around, & I'm not makin' this up.:eyetwitch:

Everyone who lives & works there is a weirdo.
No shit, every single person that walks by you can easily tell whether they live there or not.

Green hair, shit in your face, huge holes in your ears, all those people live there.

They all have jobs, or most of them anyway.

If you look normal, better yet hot?

You'll get hired the first place you walk in to.

They'll tell weirdo boy to beat it right then.

TT
Thats the best post ive read all week lolololol

·
Registered
579 Posts
I went to Red about the same time 10ish years ago for three months, all the resort jobs were taken by regulars and we ended up shovelling snow and doing odd jobs so we could eat.
Lol that's pretty common in the Kootenays - a lot of people hustling, working a bunch of side jobs to get by

This past winter in Rossland was particularly bad with the low snow. By late January, all of the tourists were pretty much gone. Hotels, restaurants & bars were pretty much empty.

On the other hand, the mountain bike season got an early start lol

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've already done a season at Vail and absolutely loved it and I'm worried I'll find those mountains too small for a whole season.

You've already gotten lots of good advice from people with a bit of experience finding work, and I can't add anything to that but can speak to the riding at the different resorts.

With the possible exception of Panorama, I very highly doubt you'll be bored doing a season at any of the resorts you mentioned. None are as big as Whistler, but they have plenty of terrain to explore. Plus most Alberta/BC Interior resorts are close enough to other rad places to make a day trip of it.

I always have a good time at Panorama (Taynton Bowl gets two thumbs up) but they don't get as much snow and taking three lifts to the summit is a bummer. It is a nice village though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only thing is I can't physically be in Canada any earlier than the 23rd November due to Uni exams. I heard a lot of employers don't bother talking with people who aren't in the country because there's so many people right there and then who are willing to work.
But the visa company people said they'd probably only be able to get me a job in housekeeping if I pay them for a visa (coz I'm coming late). I've done it before and its the pits. Surely I'd be able to find something better than that myself, even if coming a bit late?

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I heard a lot of employers don't bother talking with people who aren't in the country because there's so many people right there and then who are willing to work.
Instead of going on what you heard, find out for yourself. Call some employers around Whistler, Banff, Fernie, etc. and find out. As I mentioned before I do know that Nakiska is always hiring (and they're associated with Kicking Horse and Fernie). Much of the staff is foreign. So I'm sure they're used to conducting phone interviews/e-mail communications, etc.

Start researching!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Banff has the World Cup on late Nov, early Dec, so everywhere will be real busy.
With the Canadian dollar being so low, it's going to be a bumper season, imo, and as long as you can find a place to stay, I can't see it being hard to get a job, especially with a uni education.
I did it 13 years ago coming from Oz and had no probs, and I've been here ever since!!!
And to second everyone else, the mountains in the Rockies will never get stale, you'll die trying!!
Have an awesome experience

1 - 17 of 17 Posts