Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi peoples!

I am from the UK and have only been boarding at my local indoor snow slope and only since the middle of February.

As I play ice hockey, I thought I had good legs but I guess I'm now using the muscles in a different way??? And I'm going harder and pushing myself as only a hockey player does! ;-)

I'm also guessing that if you are lucky enough to get on the slopes any time you like, and have been doing it for years and years, you'll have trained your body to cope very well???

So, are there any workouts to help me develop the correct muscle groups???

TIA,

David.

·
Destroying Worlds Since 2015
7,124 Posts
Also some isometrics. One of the first muscles to "go" if you're not in condition is your quads. Unless you stand straight up on the board with your knees virtually locked, your thighs will eventually start to scream. Holding a semi-squat for a minute or more will train this.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks guys, as I said, playing hockey, as I'm sure you'll know has given me strong legs but I was surprised how I feel the burn after I spend time at my slope...
I don't want to be stronger, just snowboard fit.... I am getting a bike so I guess that's a good step plus, at 6'3" and 205 I'm not too small! So I do wanna shed a little weight but as you say, tone up some....

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
Thanks guys, as I said, playing hockey, as I'm sure you'll know has given me strong legs but I was surprised how I feel the burn after I spend time at my slope...
I don't want to be stronger, just snowboard fit.... I am getting a bike so I guess that's a good step plus, at 6'3" and 205 I'm not too small! So I do wanna shed a little weight but as you say, tone up some....
Core work. I don't work out but am super active/ride horses (strong core required) and I never feel the burn snowboarding unless I've not taken a proper break or am in choppy conditions (both often occur). However, I'd think playing hockey requires a strong core also?

·
Registered
816 Posts
My friends over at Pro-Ride actually put together a little snowboard workout here that you might find useful:

Snowboard Workout | Pro Ride Snowboarding Camps, BC Canada

If I recall correctly they took most of those exercises from riders on the Canadian halfpipe team, so you know the exercises there will be solid.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Hi peoples!

I am from the UK and have only been boarding at my local indoor snow slope and only since the middle of February.

As I play ice hockey, I thought I had good legs but I guess I'm now using the muscles in a different way??? And I'm going harder and pushing myself as only a hockey player does! ;-)

I'm also guessing that if you are lucky enough to get on the slopes any time you like, and have been doing it for years and years, you'll have trained your body to cope very well???

So, are there any workouts to help me develop the correct muscle groups???

TIA,

David.
There are several workouts you can do in the off season. Google snowboard leg workouts.

One exercise is pause squats with a little weight.It's the best way of mimicking what your body is doing on the hill. Just put a little weight on your back and do some movements. HUGE results.

Snowboarding or skiing is HIIT, so it would behoove you to do HIIT both on and off season, and keep it going as a side benefit for your heart.

Also as with any HIIT you will benefit from any simple sugar, such as Gatorade or the like.

·
Premium Member
7,662 Posts
Last summer i did alot of hiking. Downhill mountain biking, cx mountain biking, longboarding and 3-4the days i did yoga. I really only felt the true jello legs about 15 days thia year when conditions were really deep or semi deep wet snow. I snowboarded 145ish days. I could litteraly ride groomers all day, non stop Early season. That was a huge contrast from years before of getting tired by 1130. Im still a big ass guy. 6' 275/280. My legs are like tree trunks right now though

·
Registered
Rossignol Boards and Bindings, k2 Boots
1,700 Posts
i don't really work out at a gym but i try to do a lot of core exercises in my room and always stretch afterwards.
before i do anything like that i'll run sprints up and down my stairs for about 5 or so mins to get the muscles loose and warmed up, then do whatever work out i was planning on and finish it off with some stretching.

·
Resident Snowman
609 Posts
Mountain bike, XC and all mountain, hike, slackline, a little running, badminton (indoor court at work). I then do various gym workouts like Jed mentioned, with a bit more focus on upper body.

One thing I do tend to focus on is hamstrings in the off season. In my case, both biking and snowboarding put a lot of emphasis on the quads, and less on the hamstrings. This causes minor knee alignment issues (at least with me). Near the end of the snowboard season, if my knee is bent and I extend it, it used to actually pop.

One good exercise for this is:
Ball Leg Curl Exercise Guide and Video

I used to skateboard and longboard more in the spring/summer season, but I have moved onto biking. Just a nice change instead of always boarding.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I'll share my workout that keeps me in shape during the off season

Legs:

4 min cardio warm up

Squats 3 x 8

Lunges 3 x 16 (8 each leg)

Calf raises on Squat machine 3 x 24

Leg Extensions (single leg) 2 x 8

Calf Curls (single leg) 2 x 8

30 mins instense cardio, abs then stretch

Back:

4 mins cardio warm up

Pull ups 3 x 8

Dumbbell Pullover 3 x 8

Back Rows 3 x 8

Barbell Rows 3 x 8 (lower weight)

Dumbbell Rows 3 x 8

Lat pull down 3 x 24 (alternate grips on bar) Wide x 8 / neutral x 8 / close grip x 8

Stretch + Abs and cardio 30 mins

Chest

4 mins cardio warm up

Bench 3 x 8

Decline Bench 3 x 8

Incline Bench 3 x 8

(Super Set these)
Plate Raises 2 x 8
Dumbbell flys 2 x 8
30 Push Ups x 2

2 x 8 Skull crushers

3 x 30 Curls ( start heavy; every 10 sets go down in weight)

Stretch, 30 mins cardio then abs

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it may not be the perfect workout but I'm in and out in and hour and I'm very satisfied with how my body performs.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll share my workout that keeps me in shape during the off season

Legs:

4 min cardio warm up

Squats 3 x 8

Lunges 3 x 16 (8 each leg)

Calf raises on Squat machine 3 x 24

Leg Extensions (single leg) 2 x 8

Calf Curls (single leg) 2 x 8

30 mins instense cardio, abs then stretch

Back:

4 mins cardio warm up

Pull ups 3 x 8

Dumbbell Pullover 3 x 8

Back Rows 3 x 8

Barbell Rows 3 x 8 (lower weight)

Dumbbell Rows 3 x 8

Lat pull down 3 x 24 (alternate grips on bar) Wide x 8 / neutral x 8 / close grip x 8

Stretch + Abs and cardio 30 mins

Chest

4 mins cardio warm up

Bench 3 x 8

Decline Bench 3 x 8

Incline Bench 3 x 8

(Super Set these)
Plate Raises 2 x 8
Dumbbell flys 2 x 8
30 Push Ups x 2

2 x 8 Skull crushers

3 x 30 Curls ( start heavy; every 10 sets go down in weight)

Stretch, 30 mins cardio then abs

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it may not be the perfect workout but I'm in and out in and hour and I'm very satisfied with how my body performs.
Ken, you are a machine! Can you move to the UK and be my coach! Lol...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all of the info guys!
You've all given me stuff to think about....
I don't wanna be bigger, just fitter!
I think I'm in good shape as it is but boarding has taken me by surprise in that I'm working different parts in different ways and as I push myself harder, so dose the burn...
To be fair, my coccyx is giving me more of a problem but that will take time...

Right, I'm off to meet my coat on the slope!

Laters!:yahoo:

·
The Swiss Miss
7,620 Posts
Hockey playing is a sports where you build up a lot of speed-strength I reckon, while when snowboarding you need to hold a squatted position for longer duration. Even if you have strong legs, it's not the same strength. Hubby plays squash a lot. Also a speed-strength sports. He has more problems with sore muscles at the beginning of snowboarding season than me. I'm horse riding (eventing). Galloping several minutes in light seat in a xc course with legs squatted, constantly absorbing the movement of the horse and the jumps needs strong legs and the muscles needed are pretty much the same as with snowboarding.
After the green season full of training and competitions, all I do to further prepare for the white season is taking the stairs to my office instead of the elevator; taking the steps bend deep in the knees enforces the effect (office is in the 5th floor, I'm a smoker, smoking is only allowed outdoors. Gives me a good exercise ;) )

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hockey playing is a sports where you build up a lot of speed-strength I reckon, while when snowboarding you need to hold a squatted position for longer duration. Even if you have strong legs, it's not the same strength. Hubby plays squash a lot. Also a speed-strength sports. He has more problems with sore muscles at the beginning of snowboarding season than me. I'm horse riding (eventing). Galloping several minutes in light seat in a xc course with legs squatted, constantly absorbing the movement of the horse and the jumps needs strong legs and the muscles needed are pretty much the same as with snowboarding.
After the green season full of training and competitions, all I do to further prepare for the white season is taking the stairs to my office instead of the elevator; taking the steps bend deep in the knees enforces the effect (office is in the 5th floor, I'm a smoker, smoking is only allowed outdoors. Gives me a good exercise ;) )
You are correct, ice hockey = explosive power, strength and agility. Obviously, you need stamina but it counts for almost nothing on the slopes....
I guess what fitness I have does help with recovery and that's a good thing....

1 - 20 of 68 Posts