Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
It's a bit harsh calling any brand the "worst brand ever" in this thread based on an experience with a single board.

Which brands have a history of shoddy products and poor customer service?
While I don’t disagree with you in principle, I assume that most people who had a terrible experience with a brand won’t have taken the chance to repeat that mistake. Therefore, within the premise of the thread, most answers and opinions will be based on a single board, maybe two.
Is it fair? Not really, but it wasn’t great either for my brother to spend his hard earned 90’s teenager-allowance cash on a ridiculously heavy pos from Nidecker.
It’s all opinion and most of us, even after riding for over 30 years (in my case) won’t risk wasting money on a brand that failed us in the past...
That’s just the way it goes. I’m sure Nidecker have upped their game since then, otherwise they wouldn’t be in business anymore. Still, there are plenty of other brands unrelated to them that allow me to steer clear while having access to stellar products.
Until I can demo one and change my mind (which won’t happen around here anyways), that’s how it is for me.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I agree. Although it was fun carving and hauling ass on it, the core shot does make you cringe when you look at them. I bought at Sierra trading for like $200 and i just don't even bother getting it fixed. I'll run it to its deeper core until it is unrideable:p .

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
While I don’t disagree with you in principle, I assume that most people who had a terrible experience with a brand won’t have taken the chance to repeat that mistake. Therefore, within the premise of the thread, most answers and opinions will be based on a single board, maybe two.
Is it fair? Not really, but it wasn’t great either for my brother to spend his hard earned 90’s teenager-allowance cash on a ridiculously heavy pos from Nidecker.
It’s all opinion and most of us, even after riding for over 30 years (in my case) won’t risk wasting money on a brand that failed us in the past...
That’s just the way it goes. I’m sure Nidecker have upped their game since then, otherwise they wouldn’t be in business anymore. Still, there are plenty of other brands unrelated to them that allow me to steer clear while having access to stellar products.
Until I can demo one and change my mind (which won’t happen around here anyways), that’s how it is for me.
I get what you're saying but slating a brand on a public searchable forum as the "worst brand ever" is a bit over the top.
Edit: Let me add I've never ridden a Nidecker made board. ;) I don't have an opinion on those!

·
Registered
853 Posts
I’ve owned 3 Endeavors so far, friends have 2 more.
Really good boards.
Pros:
-great flex, lively and damp as you mentioned
-sleek graphics (though less glossy topsheets would look great for longer)
-nice long sidecuts available
-excellent edges. Tuned sharp and no recycled steel so they remain sharp even if you ride icy conditions a lot
Cons:
-sizing. The width at the back inserts on most of their regular waist boards fits 8,5 US, not the average 9,5 - 10 US size.
-average base durability. I see they scratch easier than other sintered base board I have. I cannot comment on the base thickness, haven’t belted them yet
-the official dealership in the EU via the UK. The RRP on their official website is 30 proc more than what you have in the US. Heck, 3rd party shops in the EU offer lower RRP than the official Endeavor site for the EU customers. Such a greedy pricing definitely impacts the popularity here.

For me the worst ‚mainstream’ brand is Mervin. Extruded bases priced as sintered. No 360 degree wrapped edges (cost production reduction marketed as a tech lol) that can be easily pulled out on impact and persistent delam issues (two friends have experienced these issues). I’d call it a bad luck if not for the fact that when searching second-hand boards, you see many that have already undergone a repair like that.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I agree. Although it was fun carving and hauling ass on it, the core shot does make you cringe when you look at them. I bought at Sierra trading for like $200 and i just don't even bother getting it fixed. I'll run it to its deeper core until it is unrideable:p .
Was that in response to me? I got mine from Sierra too, wonder if that's the common denominator?

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I get what you're saying but slating a brand on a public searchable forum as the "worst brand ever" is a bit over the top.
Edit: Let me add I've never ridden a Nidecker made board. ;) I don't have an opinion on those!
Not sure if you're talking to me, but if so you should probably read my initial post.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Well yeah, based on the responses given “worst board ever” would be a more apt title.
I think you’re making a bit bigger deal out of it than it is though. Any brand mentioned here will “survive” being mentioned. Let’s face it, they’re just opinions on an internet forum, from random people with weird usernames. I don’t trust 90% of “official” reviews out there so this thread is/ should be waaay below that on anyone’s radar/opinion-making source of info. It’s a discssion based on subjective opinions based on (as you said) single experiences in most cases.

·
Premium Member
3,408 Posts
I probably base ground my Archetype more than any other board I've owned (top 3 for sure), that thing took an absolute beating but never got a core shot so I couldn't actually say how thick the base was. That and my first year Warpig were probably the two most durable boards I've owned, and we all know how many issues people have had with Warpigs from their 2nd year onwards. I've owned 4 Endeavors total with zero issues from any of them, every company has lemons I guess, maybe they send those to Sierra trading hah.

My worst would be M3. First new board I bought myself after learning on an old beater Burton Cruzer from the mid 00s and the POS basically disintegrated from riding it on a crazy firm icy day. The base between the feet on both heel and toe edge wore away so much it began catching the uphill inside edge when side slipping, can't have had more than 15 days on that board. Worst part is when I tried to return it under warranty I didn't know any better at the time and I let the store get away with offering a shitty discount on a different replacement board. So I'd coughed up a few hundred $$$ for a board that didn't last a month from the purchase date, and then spent a few hundred $$$ more to replace it. Would never let that happen now but hey gotta learn somehow right?

·
Premium Member
1,644 Posts
Well yeah, based on the responses given “worst board ever” would be a more apt title.
I think you’re making a bit bigger deal out of it than it is though. Any brand mentioned here will “survive” being mentioned. Let’s face it, they’re just opinions on an internet forum, from random people with weird usernames. I don’t trust 90% of “official” reviews out there so this thread is/ should be waaay below that on anyone’s radar/opinion-making source of info. It’s a discssion based on subjective opinions based on (as you said) single experiences in most cases.
Not making a big deal, just giving my opinion in an internet forum with random people with weird usernames.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I wasn’t responding to you. But I’m all for criticizing brands that deserve it.
From my perspective I’ve owned a very small number of boards so I’m keen to learn what is actually worth avoiding!
Gotcha, and you aren't wrong. On one hand, I can only blame myself for not keeping the proof of purchase. On the other hand, I'd like to think if I made a product that clearly had significant manufacturing defects (tech also told me it's the most concave made he's ever seen) that I would make it right, I dim understand the position they're in too though.

Fair or not (probably not), I know for damn sure they will never be getting another cent of my money.

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Gotcha, and you aren't wrong. On one hand, I can only blame myself for not keeping the proof of purchase. On the other hand, I'd like to think if I made a product that clearly had significant manufacturing defects (tech also told me it's the most concave made he's ever seen) that I would make it right, I dim understand the position they're in too though.

Fair or not (probably not), I know for damn sure they will never be getting another cent of my money.

Significant manufacturing defects sounds about right here. Maybe your board came out of the press with a nasty concave Endeavor thought they could grind out. They ground it as flat as they could at the factory, dramatically reducing the base thickness. Now you've got a concave board with a really thin base. If this is what happened, Endeavor really should have set that board aside as a factory second.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
Significant manufacturing defects sounds about right here. Maybe your board came out of the press with a nasty concave Endeavor thought they could grind out. They ground it as flat as they could at the factory, dramatically reducing the base thickness. Now you've got a concave board with a really thin base. If this is what happened, Endeavor really should have set that board aside as a factory second.
that sounds more like a throwaway, seconds are mostly visual issues, not quality and shape

21 - 40 of 41 Posts