Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #21
As for the tuck & roll - fine when you're moving down the hill, but completely impossible when you're going slow & catch the heel edge, slamming over backwards, like all beginners do. That's the real danger for wrists.
Exactly what happened!! A week in Austria and as a beginner I pushed myself quite hard out of my comfort zone and fell A LOT at speed....without any injury.
Back home on the SnowDome slope and a catch an edge at the bottom and BAM snapped my wrist!
Bad times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Member
A little late to the party here, but anyways...

I have two sets of wrist guards: RED wrist guards (now Burton), and Dainese Hector wrist guards. Both are of the kind that have the protection on the back of the arm rather than the front. The protection lexer, which means it will dampen the overextension of your wrist to an extent - if you fall really hard you will probably just break your arm/wrist, er, less. They are both fairly low profile, but I use gloves +1 size and in some cases it's still tight.

The REDs/Burtons have the additional benefit of bing padded over the palm, while the Daineses have the advantage of making you look a bit like cyborg. :) No but seriously, they're head turners.

At the end of the day, the most important part is still learning how to fall properly. Oh, and keeping an eye up-hill to avoid getting smashed by an ass-clown skier out of control.

My full set of protective gear, in addition to the wrist guards:

K2 Phase Pro helmet
Pro-Tec spine protector
G-Form elbow guards (low profile)
RED Total Impact short
SOC knee pads (soft)

I always wear all of these (no, not both sets of wrist guards at the same time). I am quite certain that I wouldn't be sitting here today if not for these (especially the helmet and the spine protector).

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
A little late to the party here, but anyways...

I have two sets of wrist guards: RED wrist guards (now Burton), and Dainese Hector wrist guards. Both are of the kind that have the protection on the back of the arm rather than the front. The protection lexer, which means it will dampen the overextension of your wrist to an extent - if you fall really hard you will probably just break your arm/wrist, er, less. They are both fairly low profile, but I use gloves +1 size and in some cases it's still tight.

The REDs/Burtons have the additional benefit of bing padded over the palm, while the Daineses have the advantage of making you look a bit like cyborg. :) No but seriously, they're head turners.

At the end of the day, the most important part is still learning how to fall properly. Oh, and keeping an eye up-hill to avoid getting smashed by an ass-clown skier out of control.

My full set of protective gear, in addition to the wrist guards:

K2 Phase Pro helmet
Pro-Tec spine protector
G-Form elbow guards (low profile)
RED Total Impact short
SOC knee pads (soft)

I always wear all of these (no, not both sets of wrist guards at the same time). I am quite certain that I wouldn't be sitting here today if not for these (especially the helmet and the spine protector).
Great advise thanks
Spine protector is one for the list!

Registered
Hi Louise
Great advise thanks
Spine protector is one for the list!

Hi Louise, I understand you so well. First week of January I went snowboarding with my brother-in-law for 1 week. I never had put my foot on a slope much less on a board. I thought I would be spending all the time falling down and not able to follow my him. To my surprise on the first day after just 3 hours class I got the hand of it and before I know it I was going down the slopes fairly easy, by second day I was already going down advance slopes, I got addicted straight away.

Unfortunately on our last day disaster strike, on a very icy slope my board catch the back and send my flying and on hitting the snow/ice hurt my wrist bad. Next day went to ER and after x-ray distal radius fracture. Even though I was in some pain all I could think was getting back on the slopes. My friends say I'm crazy but I already booked a long weekend and will go back just 10 days after taking the cast.

Like you I'm a little nervous getting back after the injury, I'm not a young guy anymore so I don't want to get injured again.

To protect myself and have a bit more confidence I got myself the following protective equipment:

Giro Ledge Mips helmet
Impact shorts
Level Half Pipe gloves.

This gloves have a biometric protection. A lot of people swear by it so I will have a try.

Manly, the ideal and I know I learned the hard way is knowing how to fall and tucking your arms on your chest and take the impact on your knees and butt.

Hope you get back on the board again and all goes well.

Registered
Discussion Starter #25
Hi Louise

Hi Louise, I understand you so well. First week of January I went snowboarding with my brother-in-law for 1 week. I never had put my foot on a slope much less on a board. I thought I would be spending all the time falling down and not able to follow my him. To my surprise on the first day after just 3 hours class I got the hand of it and before I know it I was going down the slopes fairly easy, by second day I was already going down advance slopes, I got addicted straight away.

Unfortunately on our last day disaster strike, on a very icy slope my board catch the back and send my flying and on hitting the snow/ice hurt my wrist bad. Next day went to ER and after x-ray distal radius fracture. Even though I was in some pain all I could think was getting back on the slopes. My friends say I'm crazy but I already booked a long weekend and will go back just 10 days after taking the cast.

Like you I'm a little nervous getting back after the injury, I'm not a young guy anymore so I don't want to get injured again.

To protect myself and have a bit more confidence I got myself the following protective equipment:

Giro Ledge Mips helmet
Impact shorts
Level Half Pipe gloves.

This gloves have a biometric protection. A lot of people swear by it so I will have a try.

Manly, the ideal and I know I learned the hard way is knowing how to fall and tucking your arms on your chest and take the impact on your knees and butt.

Hope you get back on the board again and all goes well.
I will be back on that board as soon as I can!!! I was back in fracture clinic today and they think I may have snapped a tendon in my thumb from bending it back which would need surgery!
Back next week to check it again after they have modified my cast to allow for more thumb movement.
Fingers crossed it鈥檚 not the tendon!

Good luck with your wrist and with the boarding

Registered
The real answer....only ride deep powder...it creates another set of problems. But generally avoids broken wrists. Oh and yea you have to also learn other techniques of how to fall...nor not fall.
That would be ideal but as you know in Europe there is much less powder than in North America and this year for example it was a very bad year, only some few resorts in the Alps. Agree with learning how not to fall instead of not fall. If you are learning and want to keep improving and pushing yourself it is granted you will fall. Net week I will test my theory but I think I learned the hard way because I have the impression my brain will not allow me to catch my fall with the arms so easily as the pain is still very much burn in my mind.

Registered
That would be ideal but as you know in Europe there is much less powder than in North America and this year for example it was a very bad year, only some few resorts in the Alps. Agree with learning how not to fall instead of not fall. If you are learning and want to keep improving and pushing yourself it is granted you will fall. Net week I will test my theory but I think I learned the hard way because I have the impression my brain will not allow me to catch my fall with the arms so easily as the pain is still very much burn in my mind.
Look in the coaching and tips section of "learn how to fall"

Registered
Discussion Starter #31
The real answer....only ride deep powder...it creates another set of problems. But generally avoids broken wrists. Oh and yea you have to also learn other techniques of how to fall...nor not fall.
Funny cos on the mountain I naturally just head for any powder and then go for it because I know it hurts less! I鈥檓 know for being a bit reckless but it鈥檚 because I want to improve
The SnoDome I broke my wrist at in the U.K. is basically ice with a thin layer of slush

The kiss emoji was a mistake but it鈥檚 funny so I鈥檓 leaving it

Registered
Funny cos on the mountain I naturally just head for any powder and then go for it because I know it hurts less! I鈥檓 know for being a bit reckless but it鈥檚 because I want to improve
The SnoDome I broke my wrist at in the U.K. is basically ice with a thin layer of slush

The kiss emoji was a mistake but it鈥檚 funny so I鈥檓 leaving it

If it has a bit of slush still cushions the fall a little. When I broke my wrist there was only a small layer of sleet or ice cristal's and huge ice slab underneath. Anyway we fall we learn, it just sucks because we end up sideline for a while.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts