Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

What do you guys think is best for wrist protection?

I broke my scaphoid 2 years ago and needed a screw put in.

This year when the season was still young I broke my radius in my other arm/hand and required a plate. I was wearing wrist guards the second time. So now I have hardware in both wrists.

After the first wrist break I figured it would never happen again since I bought myself some wrist guards. But then there was this kinda freak accident. I know how to fall (or so I thought) and both times I braced for impact by bringing my hands close to my chest. I don't put my hands out to catch myself. Both times the weight and impact of my body trapping my hands between hardpack snapped my wrist.

Here are the wrist guards I was wearing when I broke my wrist the second time. I figured the protection on both sides of the wrist would've helped.
http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innova...578&sr=8-3&keywords=wrist+protector+snowboard

Onto the video, make sure the volume is up you can hear my wrist break. Not for the squeamish.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8scml7yaod87xdz/2015-01-08 23.37.30.mp4?dl=0

A second before the guy in front of me went down I was about to bomb by him because he looked a little unstable.

The aftermath:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sjjkifc6n41s5a/2015-01-19 12.38.37-1.jpg?dl=0

So....the real question is for the ones that wear wrist protection what do you wear? I understand that no amount of protection can help from severe impacts, but I'd love to try to minimize another injury the best I can.

I am looking at getting the Level Biomex gloves.

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Hey Guys,

What do you guys think is best for wrist protection?

I broke my scaphoid 2 years ago and needed a screw put in.

This year when the season was still young I broke my radius in my other arm/hand and required a plate. I was wearing wrist guards the second time. So now I have hardware in both wrists.

After the first wrist break I figured it would never happen again since I bought myself some wrist guards. But then there was this kinda freak accident. I know how to fall (or so I thought) and both times I braced for impact by bringing my hands close to my chest. I don't put my hands out to catch myself. Both times the weight and impact of my body trapping my hands between hardpack snapped my wrist.

Here are the wrist guards I was wearing when I broke my wrist the second time. I figured the protection on both sides of the wrist would've helped.
http://www.amazon.com/Seirus-Innova...578&sr=8-3&keywords=wrist+protector+snowboard

Onto the video, make sure the volume is up you can hear my wrist break. Not for the squeamish.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8scml7yaod87xdz/2015-01-08 23.37.30.mp4?dl=0

A second before the guy in front of me went down I was about to bomb by him because he looked a little unstable.

The aftermath:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1sjjkifc6n41s5a/2015-01-19 12.38.37-1.jpg?dl=0

So....the real question is for the ones that wear wrist protection what do you wear? I understand that no amount of protection can help from severe impacts, but I'd love to try to minimize another injury the best I can.

I am looking at getting the Level Biomex gloves.
you should keep your back straight, not bent like that, and in the event of a fall tuck your arms in and roll on your shoulders don't use your hands. I use biomex, It does work.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
you should keep your back straight, not bent like that, and in the event of a fall tuck your arms in and roll on your shoulders don't use your hands. I use biomex, It does work.
That wasn't him, but the other guy he said looked unstable.

That crack was really your wrist in the audio?

@Mystery2many - most of the wrist guards transfer the energy away from your wrist resulting in an arm break instead with a hard fall. Usually at a point above where the plates on the top and bottom stop. Definitely better to break an arm than a wrist though.

The level biomex system transfers the energy differently. They have a video explaining it on their website. I'm no expert, but it made a lot of sense to me and I've had good luck using them.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
That wasn't him, but the other guy he said looked unstable.

That crack was really your wrist in the audio?

@Mystery2many - most of the wrist guards transfer the energy away from your wrist resulting in an arm break instead with a hard fall. Usually at a point above where the plates on the top and bottom stop. Definitely better to break an arm than a wrist though.

The level biomex system transfers the energy differently. They have a video explaining it on their website. I'm no expert, but it made a lot of sense to me and I've had good luck using them.
I agree! my point is to learn how to fall properly so breaking a wrist or arm won't be an issue. That was one of the first things I taught my wife. Bought her elbow pads and taught her how to roll and go with the fall rather than try to stop it by putting her hands down to stop.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Agreed. I misunderstood and thought you were saying they aren't worth it.

Learning to fall is definitely worth it. It was one of the first things I was taught in Kung Fu (same with most other martial arts). That said, if it isn't committed to muscle memory you still run the risk of natural instinct taking over in the heat of the moment.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed learning to fall is key. Everything happened so fast though, ya know? I really didn't even know what happened until I watched the vid. I always try to tuck but this was weird because I landed on my back and flipped over like a backward somersault and landed on my hand. If I didn't break it, I was completely fine and wouldn't have skipped a beat.

Yes that sound that is really my wrist breaking, raw footage I didn't enhance it at all.

I really would've rather of broken my arm. Oh well, I am almost all healed up in time of the end of the season.

I watched that vid of the Biomex tech, I think I'll get some of those and call it a day.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

P.s. I am wearing the camera for anyone that hasn't figured it out.

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
Flexmeters.

And that moving the break up the arm stuff is an old wives' tale, fyi.
Fair enough. I'm not an orthopaedic surgeon and really can't say for certain. I've read some stuff making that claim and other stuff refuting it...saying there is no statistical significance. It could just be a well crafted marketing message.

All I do know for certain is that the Biomex system has worked for me.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I'm no doctor but those guards you were wearing look awfully short? Like they only stop a few cm below the wrist? Cant see how that would give all that much protection.

This year i have switched to Flexmeter guards (broke my wrist last year on the one day i didnt wear my Dakine guards). I dont know how to fall and still put my hands out at times, but so far no problems with these. The flexibility is great, dont feel like a pansy sticking my hands out all the time!

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
Ugh, that crack sounded brutal... eat your vitamins man! Lamest thing about injuries is that they seem to happen when you least expect it, on the easiest run, lowest feature, or are not wearing armor...

·
Registered
103 Posts
Flexmeters.

And that moving the break up the arm stuff is an old wives' tale, fyi.
I'm not sure it's an old wives' tale, as much as an issue of material.

The 'migrated' breaks are usually documented with fully rigid metal splints. I had to wear a metal-splint wrist brace (for recovery from injury - not snowboarding), and I could definitely feel that if i'd accidentally lean on the splint, the pressure migrated up the wrist.

The Flexmeters on the other hand are plastic, and rather than 'transmitting' a shock load, they bend under load and dissipate the impact more gradually.

FWIW I've been using Flexmeters for years, and they are great. Happy to concur with your recommendation :)

Biomex gloves also worked well, but the Flexmeters feel more sturdy.

·
Registered
909 Posts
Only issue i have with the Flexmeters (and i guess it goes with most guards) is that it sort of limits your glove choice. The rear 'protector' always catches on gloves as you are putting them on. And if you run hot like i do (constantly taking my gloves on and off), this becomes a massive hassle. I use "over" gloves now (the long ones that are supposed to go over your jacket) because they fit over the Flexmeters better

·
Registered
103 Posts
Only issue i have with the Flexmeters (and i guess it goes with most guards) is that it sort of limits your glove choice. The rear 'protector' always catches on gloves as you are putting them on.
Flexmeter does make their own glove, but it's not a mitten :( I tried their old glove, and I wasn't impressed by how the wrist-splint was secured. They've got new version out now, so that may be better.

My solution has been to make a 'frankenglove' - a Level biomex glove for the under-wrist protection, and the Flexmeter top splint actually threads nicely into the wrist strap on the Levels. It looks pants, but works well :hairy:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I'm no doctor but those guards you were wearing look awfully short? Like they only stop a few cm below the wrist? Cant see how that would give all that much protection.

This year i have switched to Flexmeter guards (broke my wrist last year on the one day i didnt wear my Dakine guards). I dont know how to fall and still put my hands out at times, but so far no problems with these. The flexibility is great, dont feel like a pansy sticking my hands out all the time!
Yes they are a little short. They end right below my wrist.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts