Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I purchased a 2019 Capita DOA in 158W - super fun board as advertised! However, after about 8 days on it, I've noticed it's painfully unstable on ice.

Sizing wise I was right on the boarder between a 158W and 161W. I'm 6'2, 205lbs and size 12 foot (was 198lbs when I got it lol). My 158W supports up to 200lbs.

Do you think the lack of stability is more because my size is too small? Or the DOA model itself? If it's the model, what's a better one you'd recommend? Yes Typo looks fun but also stable. Alternatively, might just sell the DOA and get the 161W if you think that 3cm will help!

The board is awesome in the park but I'm 50/50 between mountain/park and on the East Coast so ice is an issue sometimes. I tried my old 163 Ride Fleetwood for reference and the stability issues on the same trails went away but it's of course a way different model than the DOA. Thank you!

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Yeah I think it's because the board is short for you. You can keep it and ride it whenever it's not icy, or ride it knowing its limitations. Then get a 'long effective edge' full camber board for when it's icy... or just don't go when it's icy.

I'm 180 lbs and can definitely feel the extra grip from longer edges in icy conditions... even for me, a 158 DOA will be barely grippy on ice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah I think it's because the board is short for you. You can keep it and ride it whenever it's not icy, or ride it knowing its limitations. Then get a 'long effective edge' full camber board for when it's icy... or just don't go when it's icy.

I'm 180 lbs and can definitely feel the extra grip from longer edges in icy conditions... even for me, a 158 DOA will be barely grippy on ice.
Thanks dude - appreciate the reply! I've been getting great offers for my 2019 DOA so thinking I'll sell it and maybe get the 2020 DOA but in 161W vs. my current 158W. If you'd feel it at 180lbs I certainly can at 200 haha.

Do you think that small difference in size will do the trick? Or would it make sense to just get a a playful all mountain board that's better in ice like the Yes Typo or something?

Unfortunately I'm stuck with ice being on the East Coast :(

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Honestly, this sounds like a good reason to start a quiver. Keep your 158W DOA if you love it when it's not icy, buy something longer, with more edge and more camber for icy days.

I'm your weight and my 'All Mountain' board is a 158 Supernatant which is stiffer than the DOA, I'm fortunate enough to not ride icy conditions often at all so I can push that board pretty damn hard and it holds well because the edge just sinks into the snow. If I know the snow is going to be firmer and I want maximum grip, I'll ride my 163 Nitro Squash. Longer, stiffer, more camber, more edge.

If you can only justify one board, yeah I'd probably go the 161W. People overplay how much harder a longer board is to spin or butter etc...just snowboard better 🤙

·
Premium Member
2,874 Posts
Oh, and make sure to keep your edges sharp. Like razor sharp. Will cut you if you don't handle it carefully sharp.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Honestly, this sounds like a good reason to start a quiver. Keep your 158W DOA if you love it when it's not icy, buy something longer, with more edge and more camber for icy days.

I'm your weight and my 'All Mountain' board is a 158 Supernatant which is stiffer than the DOA, I'm fortunate enough to not ride icy conditions often at all so I can push that board pretty damn hard and it holds well because the edge just sinks into the snow. If I know the snow is going to be firmer and I want maximum grip, I'll ride my 163 Nitro Squash. Longer, stiffer, more camber, more edge.

If you can only justify one board, yeah I'd probably go the 161W. People overplay how much harder a longer board is to spin or butter etc...just snowboard better 🤙
Good to hear from someone my size with big guy/wide problems! I'll start the quiver someday but cause I'm based in Manhattan, my runs are limited these days. Still hit 50% park 50% mountain when I get out though.

Thanks for bringing up the 163 Nitro though. Do you find it significantly harder to do small/medium jumps, rails, butters, ollies, etc cause of that length? And is it way more stable on the bad conditions?

But I agree, thinking the 161W DOA might be the move since I do love the board...just want to make sure the 161W will at least increase the stability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts