Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
321 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
correct me if i'm wrong, but a stiffer board means it's stronger right? so this puzzles me, for example:

burton custom x 152, weight range 115-165 lbs (very stiff board)
forum destroyer 152, weight range 115-190 lbs (less stiff i think)

does this mean the forum is a stronger board? because at the same length it can take a heavier rider...

·
Registered
30 Posts
If you pick these two boards up you will feel that the burton is a good bit lighter. Board weight is a pretty telling indicator for board stregnth.
I am generalizing here because the quality of the lay up could give you a heavy board that breaks easy. I saw two m3 boards this past week one had the inserts pulled completly out and another cracked along one side of the inserts so that the board was toast.

·
Registered
122 Posts
correct me if i'm wrong, but a stiffer board means it's stronger right? so this puzzles me, for example:

burton custom x 152, weight range 115-165 lbs (very stiff board)
forum destroyer 152, weight range 115-190 lbs (less stiff i think)

does this mean the forum is a stronger board? because at the same length it can take a heavier rider...
I think it more less means that stiffness/weight ranges are not standardized industry wide and what one company might find as stiff the other could have as a soft board as compared to their other products. The only real way to compare one to another is to ride both and feel the difference. As for the weight ranges they are normally very broad and 90% of the time purely a guideline.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This mean for example 175 lbs person should ride 156+ allmountain board with shorter efective edge like custom-x, but can ride 152 park board with longer effective edge like Destroyer. Sounds fine for me.

·
Registered
288 Posts
This mean for example 175 lbs person should ride 156+ allmountain board with shorter efective edge like custom-x, but can ride 152 park board with longer effective edge like Destroyer. Sounds fine for me.
It is different because of what the boards are designed for. Custom X, a burly cruiser that comes in an array of sizes so it is easy to bump up (or down) in the size/weight range. The Destroyer, or most park boards, longer effective edge and shorter (less) sizes for less swing weight. No one is slaying the park on a 169...no matter how big you get, your park board will be under 160).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts