Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I was actually being serious. The riders make it more entertaining like this, and you don't have that eternal focus on the numbers that are mostly used to place riders in order anyways, and maybe we avoid these onerun wonders.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I was actually being serious. The riders make it more entertaining like this, and you don't have that eternal focus on the numbers that are mostly used to place riders in order anyways, and maybe we avoid these onerun wonders.
Interesting... What/who do you consider one run wonders? Outside of Scotty d'you think any rider put together a single run that was progressive? What do you think riders should be focused on if not the best possible biggest hitting run? General curious, like I said I'm sure one or two people would like it, which means I'm sure you have a similar mindset to the person who came up with it. You felt like intensity/drama/pushing for perfection was there for you?

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
There are plenty of examples of people using the same run in every qualifier and competition for months and years, but the format has been pushing this way of thinking. If a rider can spread out their big tricks over several runs, and throw in some style and variation, having the time for proper setups without packing in too much at once, I see this as a massive leap forward. In the end, the best rider wins anyways, and I believe they will adapt to this new format pretty fast, making it worth watching. There's even room for throwing in some crowdpleasers. The judges will have an easier time without the 0-100 scale, that they have to set a different level for every competition, and it has been time consuming figuring this out live, keeping riders and viewers waiting. I really hope this will be used and allowed to evolve.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
There are plenty of examples of people using the same run in every qualifier and competition for months and years, but the format has been pushing this way of thinking. If a rider can spread out their big tricks over several runs, and throw in some style and variation, having the time for proper setups without packing in too much at once, I see this as a massive leap forward. In the end, the best rider wins anyways, and I believe they will adapt to this new format pretty fast, making it worth watching. There's even room for throwing in some crowdpleasers. The judges will have an easier time without the 0-100 scale, that they have to set a different level for every competition, and it has been time consuming figuring this out live, keeping riders and viewers waiting. I really hope this will be used and allowed to evolve.
Got it so it's not better now, but you think it COULD make things better in the future. I gotta say I feel your idea people use the same run for qualifiers and comp is frankly unfounded. For the most part that never happens, qualifiers are joke safety runs and then they go for broke in finals. But I do get the idea that you want them to not just have one run goal for the finals. BUT that again I'd argue is what makes it so good. You make it to finals, you throw down your dream run and then Shaun or Scotty come in and beat ya by a point and now you're going what can I do a little better, what variation can I add.

But it's not just about the best rider winning, it's about producing the most watchable event for fans. It's about what creates the most fan engagement, what gets people standing in front of their tv bouncing up and down hoping to scream their face off when their favorite rider goes up for a chance to maybe take the lead. The waiting for the score drama made for great tv. But if you hate that drama or think it's a waste of time fair enough, it's just at that point Im wondering what the difference is between a snowboard comp and just watching random vids. But intersting to hear that as an opinion, hadn't considered it.

I do think the 0-100 scale wasn't being used properly, too many high scores you get a 95 in the first run by someone but then 2 people would come out harder and now you what give them 98 or 99, what happens when they step it up next run. I think that's a problem more easily solved by just being harsher and giving people far lower starting scores. The problem with this judging is take Big Air. If you're Mark Mcmorris in second place last rider to drop. You got Max in first who just fell right before your run. Judges dont tell you how far in second place you are you don't know if it's a toss up or your getting killed. You know they say "full body of work" so you go well my first 4 hits were bangers and if I go throw a really solid 5th I have to win right, I have a whole extra trick landed. And so he opts for not a safety run but he doesn't push the envelope at all and lands a great but not ground breaking 14, and then the top of the leader board just never changes. They go ya no you're not moving up. It's just an "ehhhh no we say Max wins, thanks for coming everyone" and boom over...... WHAT? That's terrible for Mark, Terrible for fans, terrible way to end a comp

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
It's already better. As soon as the riders adapt, it will be so much better. When there are experiences from a few competitions there will probably be more info breaking down the judging criteria and revealing of some of the judges notes after the results. I don't want the venues to be standardised, but ever changing. The one who wins was the one who used his skills while adapting to the venue. The best rider, not the best run that has been prepared for a whole season.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Bahahaha again duh! The point is without comps you'd have never heard of him and he'd have zero endorsements. The next rider is gonna be the same, ride in comps to get discovered, then move on to filming. You don't become the face of an industry riding recreationally. Not triggered at all about you, just surprised at how short sighted and simple some people think and love calling it out for fun.
I don’t think that’s what’s happening here, but clearly you’ve made up your mind.

You’re speculating just like anybody else. Everyone here knows all of this history, we just disagree with how much influence it has on participation in the sport among the general public.

Also, nobody said we would have heard of certain riders without competitions. You’re arguing something else now.

The real point is that the vast majority of gear and lift ticket sales go to people who do not give a shit about competitions and cannot name even a single competitive snowboarder. They mostly buy based on graphics and what the shop kid sells them. The only reason some of them can name Travis Rice is because they see his name on all of the libtech snowboards, but they don’t know why. So if competitions disappeared tomorrow, I think it likely wouldn’t have much impact on participation.

Again, we are talking the general public, not people who read and post on snowboard forums.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's already better. As soon as the riders adapt, it will be so much better. When there are experiences from a few competitions there will probably be more info breaking down the judging criteria and revealing of some of the judges notes after the results. I don't want the venues to be standardised, but ever changing. The one who wins was the one who used his skills while adapting to the venue. The best rider, not the best run that has been prepared for a whole season.
That stuff is all fair for the most part. I do love the idea of best overall rider, not one run. I'd argue that Mark McMorris losing kind of disputes the idea that that is what they're actually judging but it is still fair to argue Max had a better overall night. And if they do start assigning notes feedback or scores of some sort to the jam format where you can see them live during the event then I would love the jam format.

I did some research and it seems the idea behind it was actually to appeal to the far younger crowd who don't want to sit down and watch a full comp. They're pushing for TikTok, Youtube, Twitter quick hitting short attention span social site content. I didnt realize how much content was exclusive to specific social sites and not even televised this year. Feedback right now on social has been extremely negative largely complaining about the lack of a score to follow like I theorized. A quick Twitter search of X-Games Jam leads to a lot of complaints.

If they just find a way to add scoring and clarity live during the runs then I hope they do continue but in it's current format I have to say it was so boring and I'll stick to actual snowboard films and Youtube clips since the competition part of the event was impossible to follow.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts