Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know of a super big ski/snowboard helmet? I got a size 68cm+ head and need something to protect myself. I have heard that the only option may be to wear a motorcycle helmet, but I don't want to go that route just yet if I don't have too. So, any help out there?

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
What helmets have you tried? I have a 65cm head aand some smiths fit me larger.... giro too....

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have tried Smith XL/XXL(up to 67cm) and they were almost comically small on my head. I have not tried any others but when they are not within 2-3cm, I haven't thought that it would worth trying. Even went to a store to see what was in stock.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So the question remains, is there a helmet that could fit me or should i be looking into a custom made helmet? I really don't feel that I am that unique that there would be no option off the shelf.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
So the question remains, is there a helmet that could fit me or should i be looking into a custom made helmet? I really don't feel that I am that unique that there would be no option off the shelf.
Smith and giro are the largest on the market. Im lucky they fit. I looked and tried on helmets for a couple YEARS to find a comfortable one. I was hoping bern xxl would fit based on specs for last years xxxl. Nope. You may have to go custom.

·
Banned!
7,679 Posts
I have a giant dome. There are some wierd models that will fit super large regardless of what the mfg info may say. MMy bern xxl fits super snug.

Its hard cuz u gotta try shit on but then nobody carries the huge sizes and you then are ordering it and going off of printed info which may or may not be accurate to how it fits u or at all. For example I have an XL Ride helm that is very roomy, but Bern runs decidedly small and the supposedly 63cm or so of the XXL is snug as a bug.

You may have to do the ol scam of ordering 3 giant ones and sending a couple back. Sandbox maybe? Not the most protective but look roomy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the same problem. I am bald and my xxl bern is snug. The Reds have more room in their larger sizes. Had one a few years back. Try them for sure

·
Registered
714 Posts
Figured I'd bump this instead of starting a new thread.

Big head here, size 8. Anon Echo kind of fits me but wondering if there is anything with a little more room?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
699 Posts
maybe look into Giro Combyn. It has softshell construction so apparently it forms a bit to the shape of your head which should help

·
Registered
714 Posts
maybe look into Giro Combyn. It has softshell construction so apparently it forms a bit to the shape of your head which should help
I'll see if I can find one to try on, thanks. Not much directing locally unfortunately.

·
Registered
714 Posts
No luck finding one locally, so took a flyer on an xxl/xxxl Bern because it was cheap. My son now has a new helmet...

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
nope. smith variance xl still fits me best. I try/buy a new helmet every season. I got a Camber XL last season and it is OK but not available this year in XL. I will probably go back to variance.

·
Registered
714 Posts
nope. smith variance xl still fits me best. I try/buy a new helmet every season. I got a Camber XL last season and it is OK but not available this year in XL. I will probably go back to variance.
Tried on some Giro XLs today that for me pretty well, but they didn't have the models I like of course. Got online and looks like neither model come in XL? Going to be in Kalispell in a couple weeks and there are shops with much better selections there and in Whitefish, so hopefully can find something.

Of course the biggest Variance either shop here had was a large.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
They are hard to find in shops too. I usually order online as I have only found xl in a shop once or twice.

·
Registered
714 Posts
They are hard to find in shops too. I usually order online as I have only found xl in a shop once or twice.
Yeah, I'd just like to try it on and make sure it fits first. The XL vantage I tried was to small, but was similarly sized to the large variance. If I strike out in KalispellWhitefish, I'll probably just order one and return it if it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yeah, I'd just like to try it on and make sure it fits first. The XL vantage I tried was to small, but was similarly sized to the large variance. If I strike out in KalispellWhitefish, I'll probably just order one and return it if it doesn't fit.

What's too small? Tight on the sides and tons of room front and back?
This was my problem. I went to Giro soft-shell helmets and they have been pretty good.
Now if only I can find a motorcycle helmet that would be golden.

·
Premium Member
7,585 Posts
Variance is smaller. It only comes in a Large now apparently and isn't close to fitting my head. The new vantage got sized down a little bit because of extra padding, from MIPS I assume, so it doesn't fit me right anymore. I may stick with the camber even though I have to cram it down on my head when I put it on. Vantage from 3 years ago was perfect.

Just remember too that GIRO in general is more of a round head fit, SMith is more of an oval head fit. I have not tried a soft shell helmet. I will have to look at it and sniff it out. The venting looks pitiful though

1 - 20 of 40 Posts