Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Pretty much the only way to go unless you have factory mounts. They work as well as the thule mounts. Just depends on what system you want to use

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Nope. I'd suggest looking at the prices of the accessories you want and the rack setups and going from there. Each one has minor pros and cons over the other (it's really all user preference), but at the end of the day they're more alike than different.

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I've been using the Yakima Whispbars for a year with no problems. You really have to make sure they are tightened right down to prevent creaking flex noise, but a solid purchase overall. The main difference between those and the Qs are the wind noise you get while driving.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I got the q towers. They make a howling noise when going highway speeds so I bought the fairing to block some of the wind. It still makes a bunch of wind noise but better than howling. I'm driving 80 since this is southern CO so it may not be as bad at lower speeds because I don't think the noise is bad around 50. Make sure to get the locks so people don't just jack your rack. I haven't experienced the whisper bars so I can't give you a comparison there but I would imagine they are quieter if they fit your car and price isn't the issue.

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
My GF has the Thule equivalent on her Legacy and I hate them. IMO moat Thule stuff is not very intuitive, plus I've broken at least two tabs on the locking mechs because the design sucks.

I have all Yakima on my car for 6 years, I'd recommend going with Yak over Thule.

Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

·
Registered
696 Posts
if you know what towers, length of pole etc etc you need, go to craigslist you will save 100's.

same goes for Packasports, new they are over $1000, but you see them on CL all the time for $250-400, some like mine, only needed a couple $7 rattle cans of paint and now they make paint cans to match your make of cars, if you want it to match, I just went black

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Also can you put yakima snow racks on thule bars?
Vice versa?
Yes that would not be a problem.

I love my Yakima no issues other than noise but that far out weighs putting the boards in the car. This way I can get 4 riders and gear to the hill otherwise that wouldn't happen.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts