Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I've been looking around for boards recently, and wanted your guys general opinions. I think I've narrowed it down to the YES Basic or the K2 Slayblade boards, both from the 12/13 range, rather than 13/14 range. The Basic would be a 152 and the K2 a 156, and the price difference is only £5, so that doesn't make any difference.

I'm 5'10/11" and weigh roughly 140lbs (probably slightly less). I would say I'm an intermediate/advanced boarder, who mainly rides groomers. I am interested in trying out some freestyle, and I do tend to go off-piste a decent amount, but never into any seriously deep powder (although if the opportunity presented itself, I'd probably go for it out of curiosity).

Which board would you guys think would suit me best, have I got the right sizes and also, if you think any other boards would suit me better, let me know.

Thank for your help!

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
You don't want a Slayblade unless you're looking to point it and go fast.

The Basic is definitely the better choice but if you're not super focused on park the 54 is going to be more versatile on the whole mountain.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Agreed. The Basic is so much more fun, with better pop and feel. Not sure they are even apples to apples. The old Darkstar would be closer to the Basic.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cheers guys. Which bindings would you recommend work well with the Basic? Would something simple like a Burton Custom work well, or would you recommend something different?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Custom is an entry level binding, but its most likely the best binding at that price point with plenty of room to progress. If you go with the Custom, DEFINITELY go with this years....now with Reflex, full bed cushioning and upgraded straps....

Wow.....just realized the Custom is actually a solid binding now....well done Burton!

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Custom is an entry level binding, but its most likely the best binding at that price point with plenty of room to progress. If you go with the Custom, DEFINITELY go with this years....now with Reflex, full bed cushioning and upgraded straps....

Wow.....just realized the Custom is actually a solid binding now....well done Burton!
Yeah it's the price I'm interested in :p I'm 19 and have only been in a job since June having wasted 9 months at uni, and I'm also paying for my girlfriend to come on the trip with us as she is still at uni. Are there any other bindings you might recommend at this price (or maybe slightly more if it'll make a huge difference).

·
Registered
730 Posts
When I was getting my own gear, I grabbed a set of Missions (less than $20 more) and they are a great binding to get you from beginner-advanced. Great things said about the Union Contact and Force. The good thing about those is you could grab last years stuff in those models.

Other people who ride Rome (great reviews from guys on here) and others can hopefully chime in.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unions have been on the radar too, found some well priced Union Contacts. Fairly interested in K2's as well.

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Best binding to money ration comes out of the Salomon Arcades, K2 Formulas, Flux TT's, and possibly the Union Flite Pro's.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Best binding to money ration comes out of the Salomon Arcades, K2 Formulas, Flux TT's, and possibly the Union Flite Pro's.
Does it make much difference if I buy this years models or last years? Performance wise, obviously.

·
Registered
2,929 Posts
Deals on last year stuff are so good right now. Good bindings for around $100-150 US easily.

Although I'm drawn towards this years stuff :laugh: Now Select and Flux DS ...

·
Registered
9,307 Posts
Not in the K2 or Salomon but the Flux is running different glass contents per size and the Flite Pro is new for '14.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Deals on last year stuff are so good right now. Good bindings for around $100-150 US easily.

Although I'm drawn towards this years stuff :laugh: Now Select and Flux DS ...
Haha that's what I'm trying to exploit! Especially as they're more expensive here than in the US.

Not in the K2 or Salomon but the Flux is running different glass contents per size and the Flite Pro is new for '14.
Tempted to run with the K2's. Although the Flite Pro is a pretty decent price too.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts