Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,933 Posts
From all my readings, it sounds like your board was too big. For reference, James from thegooodride, is size 9, 185-195lbs, and owns a 151 that he says is just right for him.
Probably because he's too incompetent to control anything bigger. Watching clips of him ride is downright embarrassing, doubly so when you consider the amount of 'reviews' he puts out.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Probably because he's too incompetent to control anything bigger. Watching clips of him ride is downright embarrassing, doubly so when you consider the amount of 'reviews' he puts out.
This is the best quote I've read all day.

For frame of reference I rode the 2020 54 and I'm 195lbs with a size 10 foot. I typically ride 54's for park. James from the Good Ride would do with learning how to ride a bigger board, then again he would do with learning how to actually ride. Granted he has gotten better in the last few years, but until I see him put some power into a carve he's got nothing to talk about.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Man I usually ride a 57-59 for park at 180lbs. Have I been really screwing up my sizing?
Personal preference goes into that. But if you're 180 and riding something that big you better be boosting the super pipe or hitting the big line. You're sacrificing pressability as well as being able to flick the board around with a lower swing weight.

·
Registered
332 Posts
James from the Good Ride would do with learning how to ride a bigger board, then again he would do with learning how to actually ride. Granted he has gotten better in the last few years, but until I see him put some power into a carve he's got nothing to talk about.
Don't you enjoy watching the crew stand in the background, most of the "review" being pillaged by personal jokes, lots of bum spanking and poke-the-taint-from-behind and giggling, that tall skinny guy writing weird, illegible notes and sticking them in front of the camera for no one to see?

On a serious note, has TheGoodRide copyrighted [or whatever - not too sure of the term. Basically, is it something that only THEY can do?] the "on the table" thing?

Someone poorly executing an idea, does not make the idea itself, invalid. Personally, the way you and Kevin break boards down, would fit well with an on-the-table review, discussing specs, camber profile, setback, flex etc.

Here, in Australia, you take what you can get - the range of decks here is MINOR compared to what you've got in the states, we are hardly able to "try before you buy", it's frequently-enough the case that you have to buy boards blind, based on as much online info as possible + deciding what you're actually looking for in your next deck.....

Your reviews are already good. To have that extra visual illustration, talking about the board as you show it to the viewer - maybe I've had one too many Monkey Shoulders [it's not bad scotch/whiskey, or whatever - either way, it'll get you drank!], but I personally feel that you could work that "on the table" format into your reviews and it'll only be a good thing.

Video wise, as it stands, I often watch your reviews first [to gain info], then watch other video reviews to actually get an on-screen look at the board. You could easily absorb this into your reviews.

Or you could tell me to fuck off. Either way, it works well [Monkey Shoulder].

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Don't you enjoy watching the crew stand in the background, most of the "review" being pillaged by personal jokes, lots of bum spanking and poke-the-taint-from-behind and giggling, that tall skinny guy writing weird, illegible notes and sticking them in front of the camera for no one to see?

On a serious note, has TheGoodRide copyrighted [or whatever - not too sure of the term. Basically, is it something that only THEY can do?] the "on the table" thing?

Someone poorly executing an idea, does not make the idea itself, invalid. Personally, the way you and Kevin break boards down, would fit well with an on-the-table review, discussing specs, camber profile, setback, flex etc.

Here, in Australia, you take what you can get - the range of decks here is MINOR compared to what you've got in the states, we are hardly able to "try before you buy", it's frequently-enough the case that you have to buy boards blind, based on as much online info as possible + deciding what you're actually looking for in your next deck.....

Your reviews are already good. To have that extra visual illustration, talking about the board as you show it to the viewer - maybe I've had one too many Monkey Shoulders [it's not bad scotch/whiskey, or whatever - either way, it'll get you drank!], but I personally feel that you could work that "on the table" format into your reviews and it'll only be a good thing.

Video wise, as it stands, I often watch your reviews first [to gain info], then watch other video reviews to actually get an on-screen look at the board. You could easily absorb this into your reviews.

Or you could tell me to fuck off. Either way, it works well [Monkey Shoulder].
I don't watch his reviews nor would I enjoy watching them. Dudes a fucking chump who spits out wrong advice. I only ever watch anything he does if I have to because someone needs me to give them the correct information. Him and his companions are the equivalent of the monkeys at the zoo. You go there and you laugh at their antics and then one of them fucks a football in front of you and suddenly it becomes sad and depressing when you realize you're from the same subspecies.

So the reason the vast majority of our reviews don't have the "on the table" is that those were shot after the fatal hard drive crashes of 2017 that resulted in us losing something like 2TB's of footage and having to reshoot EVERYTHING in order to get it back. Something like 232 videos or close to that. What started as a 180 hour project turned into a 500 hour project that literally almost killed me. (Don't ever record videos in front of lights when you're recovering from a concussion).

He can trademark anything he wants, he has to prove that you willfully infringed on his copyright and that no one has done it first so he set the precedent of doing it first. That's easy enough to disprove as people have been doing reviews on tables for decades, pull up an old Shamwow or Slapchop video and poof he's disproved and his trademark goes completely out the window and then he's out those fees, his lawyer fees, and whomever he sues lawyer fees/lost wages etc. etc. Dude is always super short sighted with how he does things. If I was a real dick I'd trademark snowboard reviews in their entirety as I was doing it 8 years before his ass could even turn a snowboard. The other reason we don't do it, is I'm not going to do anything that causes more people to compare me to that fucktard. I constantly have to explain to stupid people that 1. I was doing this long before him. 2. We are not comparable as I actually know what the fuck I'm doing and he's just a me too tag along that doesn't give a shit about snowboarding just pushing all products regardless of if it's what people need.

At the end of the day he's a used car salesman peddling a great product but with poor sales tactics. We on the other hand are actually trying to make people into better snowboarders and create a whole community around what we're doing. Notice he doesn't have any comments enabled on his videos nor does he ever engage in discussion.

Australia/NZ is my 4th and 5th highest market. I get almost as many views from that geographical location as I do the U.K. and I totally understand what you guys are dealing with. It sucks and I totally understand the value you guys get from me. This is probably why I devote so much time to answering questions as well as fostering having conversations on multiple platforms. At the end of the day I've been running a marathon and will continue to keep running it while his dumbass and his monkeys proceed to fuck the football and run sprints.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I own 154 I spent ~~15 days on and completely agree with @sush1 review. I don’t recommend sizing down if you aren’t spending much time in the jib line or want something borderline too easy to butter.

For my specs 185 lbs 10 US I am sizing up (or rather normalizing according to Yes that claims the flex 7/10 lol but seems to be correct at weight specs) and jumping to 156 I have to get a bit more flex and prolong the camber section under my feet at the reference stance.

The board rips but I would also welcome some more agressive camber like Optimistic instead of the usual 2/4/2 CamRock found on most Yes boards. And a bit stiffer tips would also help with more agressive riding.

The edge hold is amazing, on par with GNU RC or Rossi Jibsaw I tried/had, and carve circles are a breeze but it’s not a hard charger - if you ride it fast and put too much pressure on the front foot while on the edge it turns so quickly with it’s 6,3~~ m sidecut that once or twice being sloppy I fell over the edge due to the G force that surprised me and made me tumble. Slow and medium speed and small and medium jumps (softer tips for butters) are where it’s at home.

As for the topsheet - I find it very durable actually, apart from this red Save the Humans. It stood against several skier Jerry encounters with only really minor dents when their skis started carving my topsheet. As you can see in the pic, I’m a ‚Right foot forward for life!’ guy and the scratches under the front binding are mostly due to me having too loose front bindings (DS and Force I tried) till I got to a service point to tighten them (I don’t carry any hard objects in the backpack anymore - had a plastic bottle of Coke that during an unfortunate simple fall bruised my kidney so badly that they wanted to keep me in a hospital for checks when I was peeing blood). The backfoot marks are all fine.

https://imgur.com/gallery/6h1DTJK

21 - 31 of 31 Posts