Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Everyone - Am new to the forum as well; had an old set-up for the longest time and finally figured it was time to update my board/bindings. Haven't really been following all the developments in the gear world, but have read a ton these couple of weeks (found this forum to be incredibly helpful and awesome).

Would love to hear any comments/suggestions on the below setup? Especially interested if anyone has experience mixing and matching board/bindings/boots from different manufacturers or experience with Yes and/or Flux.

RIDER DETAILS:
Height/Weight/Size: 5' 11", 165lbs, US9.0
Level: Intermediate/Expert
Preferred Riding Style: All mtn. freeride, powder, backcountry, trees/glades, jumps
Typical Locations:Japan (Niseko, Hakuba), Canada (Whistler, Tremblant, local mountains), US (Tahoe, Jackson Hole) - I now live where there's no snow so need to rely on regular boarding trips abroad!

PROPOSED SETUP:
Board: 2014 Yes Pick Your Line 161cm (can also consider 2013 but think they're getting to be hard to find)
Bindings: 2014 Flux DM (also can consider Flux SF, but thought DM matches better with the red lol)
Boots: 2013 Burton Ions (own these already)

ADDITIONAL POINTS:
- I currently have 2012 Burton Restricted Cartels, though I'm not a big fan of the color and think for freeride maybe the asym strap isn't needed; therefore thinking I'd sell them for a new pair of bindings.
- Thought about the 2012 Yes Pick Your Line board (available for $300 on the Clymb), but think the 2014 version may be worth the extra price?
- One thing about the 2014 Yes PYL: Anyone know why they put the "Yes" logo right where the binding mount is? Just seems like the art on the board won't make much sense after the bindings are attached - maybe it's just me...

Looking forward to hearing from you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have a 2013 PYL, and I really love it. from what I've read, the 2013 and 2014 are quite similar, but the 2012 is very different (stiffer, less camber).

I rode it last year with a set of 2012 cartels and had absolutely no issues, felt the set up was 100% solid and never gave me any issues. I typically seek out steep terrain, pow and am always seeking ways to get airborne in such terrain.

I cant speak for the Flux bindings as I have never ridden them. But you will be good with either this years or last years PYL, but I wouldnt go with the 2012 model. There are multiple reviews on this site (search) as there are a few forum members who have a PYL.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks Banjo. Glad your PYL has been awesome so far - definitely lots of good things about the PYL here on the forum.

Odd thing is - not a whole lot about Flux Bindings. I guess I'll just sit tight and see if anyone else chimes in :)

Am really torn between Flux DM, SF, TT30 or another brand like NS or Rome.

·
Registered
736 Posts
I will say that I think the 161cm is huge, I am almost your exact same stats, maybe like 3 lbs lighter and I ride a 154cm day to day and a 158 as my pow board. I myself would never consider something as big as a 161. Any ways, just my opinion, not saying I am right.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
I will say that I think the 161cm is huge, I am almost your exact same stats, maybe like 3 lbs lighter and I ride a 154cm day to day and a 158 as my pow board. I myself would never consider something as big as a 161. Any ways, just my opinion, not saying I am right.
I am those stats exactly:eek:k:.
161 is deff not huge, @ our weight I think that is the perfect size for a daily driver. It does pow, crud & bomb but still small enough to crank 3's.

There just isn't enough distance between your rides.
I think you need to try a monster:thumbsup::eusa_clap:

You just think it's huge, cause you've never ridden one.

Borrow someones 165 next pow day.
I swear, you'll love it:yahoo:. It's not @ all how you think it's gonna be.
Then you'll think 161 is the perfect size for everyday:eusa_clap:

I just bought a new 2010 camber Never Summer Summit 172, + a few more:giggle:

Watch out powder, I'm comin' fer ya.

TT

·
Banned
1,966 Posts
As a blanket statement that is nonsense. It really differs and depends on the board in question. For instance, I am lighter at 155lbs and my 2 main pow boards are a 152 (Con Artist) and 163 (Gentem Big Fish).

·
Registered
736 Posts
As a blanket statement that is nonsense. It really differs and depends on the board in question. For instance, I am lighter at 155lbs and my 2 main pow boards are a 152 (Con Artist) and 163 (Gentem Big Fish).
As I said its just my opinion and may not be right. I have ridden a few larger boards and spent my first season riding a 159. I demoed a slash atv 161 last season on a deep pow day and felt so out of place on it. I by no means have the experience that most of you guys do and was just trying to provide another opinion for the op. I should have let the op know my experience level and to take my suggestions lightly.

·
Registered
6,277 Posts
As I said its just my opinion and may not be right. I have ridden a few larger boards and spent my first season riding a 159. I demoed a slash atv 161 last season on a deep pow day and felt so out of place on it. I by no means have the experience that most of you guys do and was just trying to provide another opinion for the op. I should have let the op know my experience level and to take my suggestions lightly.
I think it had to have been the setup?
It probably wasn't set up for a DEEP pow day, it was probably set up in your standard twinned out stance.

Set up properly, there is no way you should have felt that out of place on a board that's only a few cm's bigger than your usual stick:dunno:

Cause if it was set up properly, it shouldn't have felt that much different than most of the other boards you've ridden.

Something was amiss that day, you need to borrow someones deck that you're riding with.
There's a better chance it's gonna be set up right.

Don't be stubborn, prove me wrong.

I'm just sayin', if there's a chance it can be better.

You should look into it.

TT

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been reading many good things about the PYL as a great pow board that holds on hardpack and ice and love the graphics. How is the turn initiation and edge to edge?

I just bought the Landlord and will be curious how it will do on hardpack. I think if PYL had the channel tech, I would buy it in an instant.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update on Flux DM Boot Interface

Hey Everyone - I finally got the whole set-up together and just wanted to give a quick update.

I have the existing 2013 Burton Ion boots in US9 and bought the Flux DM Medium bindings. Unfortunately, the boots don't fit the bindings - the width of the bindings isn't enough and causes the right-side of the boot to catch on the bindings - reckon over time it'll ruin the boots.

Also tried to Flux DM Large bindings, and unfortunately they're way to big (even after adjustments) for the US9 boots - binding's toe edge extends too far past the boot.

Another note on the Flux DM bindings - the straps come in between the highback and the base plate - found it a bit difficult to push back the HB, and also resulted in the binding straps to be warped with a slight twist. Not sure if I'm a big fan of this.

Very disappointed that I'll have to send these bindings back. Think I'm just going to take the plunge on the new 2014 Burton Diodes instead - at least boot compatability there shouldn't be a problem.

Will let you guys know once I get my new set-up together!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I have the existing 2013 Burton Ion boots in US9 and bought the Flux DM Medium bindings. Unfortunately, the boots don't fit the bindings - the width of the bindings isn't enough and causes the right-side of the boot to catch on the bindings
This seems very odd to me....do you have a picture? The bindings are too narrow to fit burton boots?

·
Registered
833 Posts
Hey Everyone - I finally got the whole set-up together and just wanted to give a quick update.

I have the existing 2013 Burton Ion boots in US9 and bought the Flux DM Medium bindings. Unfortunately, the boots don't fit the bindings - the width of the bindings isn't enough and causes the right-side of the boot to catch on the bindings - reckon over time it'll ruin the boots.

Also tried to Flux DM Large bindings, and unfortunately they're way to big (even after adjustments) for the US9 boots - binding's toe edge extends too far past the boot.

Another note on the Flux DM bindings - the straps come in between the highback and the base plate - found it a bit difficult to push back the HB, and also resulted in the binding straps to be warped with a slight twist. Not sure if I'm a big fan of this.

Very disappointed that I'll have to send these bindings back. Think I'm just going to take the plunge on the new 2014 Burton Diodes instead - at least boot compatability there shouldn't be a problem.

Will let you guys know once I get my new set-up together!
I'm a little surprised to read this too. Flux always had a rep for being a little wide...thirty two boots were always mentioned being perfect fit. And Burton boots have reduced footprint to begin with...weird.

Do you have any pics of the strap getting twisted, that doesn't sound right either. The photo in your post doesn't look like anything different with the straps.

Bummer they don't work for you - they look awesome and are super lightweight? I have my eye on them too for a similar set up you are putting together...

·
Registered
205 Posts
sounds a bit odd to me also... I used to run Burton boots with my Flux bindings and felt that the bindings were wide for the boot.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I can only comment on your board choice as I had a chance to ride my 2013 PYL for the first time this week and I was thrilled with it. :thumbsup:

I dare say that if you are in need of a one board quiver, this board will not disappoint. I have not had a chance to get into the white room with it, but others here on the forum have and will attest to its ability in those conditions.

On softer, groomer conditions this board was so impressive. Easy and quick edge to edge, fast, nimble and very predictable. I had one lay down type fall, on my toe edge, simply because the taper caught me with the tail washing out, felt it coming from a mile away. But after adjusting my riding style, I could carve and bomb to my hearts content. :yahoo:

Strong recommendation on this. FWIW: I"m 6'0 / 200 lbs. and ride a 161

·
Registered
210 Posts
graphics on this board look awesome. love the hammerhead shark on the base. and is the top sheet like a wood gain type look? cant really tell from the pic

edit: i should have just googled. sure is wood finish on the top sheet. I would hang this on my wall and definitely ride it too

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Flux DM Binding with Burton Ion Boots (Asian Fit)

Think I figured it out - my Burton Ion Boots are 'Asian Fit', and I think the boots are slightly wider than the normal fit ones. The extra width plus the protruding piece of fabric on the outsides of the boot seem to be just enough to cause this fit problem.

Nonetheless, have included the pictures showing the fit in case anyone is still interested.

Checked out the Burton Diodes today, and not really sure about them - will post my thoughts in the Diodes PSA thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts