Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Debating on adding the Standard UNINC to my "demo program" this winter. I already have a Capita Mega Mercury. I realize there is obvious overlap. Anyone know if one excels over the other as an all mountain free ride-ish twin.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I owned the Mercury for 2 seasons and my friend owns the Ghost so the Standard in camber = Standard Uninc. Another friend just got the latest Ghost model with the new topsheet and they are basically the same as the older ones that a touch more rubbery. The profile, geometry etc. are the same in the Ghost and Standard Uninc.

Tested both the Mercury 157 and the Ghost 156 on the same day in spring conditions so icy in the shady parts and slushy in the sun (picture 2). Also rode the Mega Mercury on a demo day and the difference between the Mercury and the Mega Merc is marginal.

Capitas are more snappy and lighter, better for jumps. The Ghost trashed the Mercury in icy spots. Both float very well for a directional twin.

Snow Slope World Freezing Ice cap

Snow Mountain Slope Outdoor recreation Terrain

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
If you are looking to compare the 2 boards and determine the most suitable “Quiver-Of-One” board (for your preferences and snow conditions), then get the Standard Uninc also.

Rode the Mega Merc last season and enjoyed it: lightweight, snappy, responsive, fast base tune/structure, and smooth & damp ride.

Thought about getting the Standard Uninc, because:

• Mid-wide for extra stability
  • Yes’ mid-bite for edge hold
  • Slam back inserts for deep days
  • Full camber

·
Registered
12,681 Posts
There's overlap in both.

Mega wins out in liveliness, snap, and base tune.
Standard UnInc wins in stability, added inserts, and width.

They both turn slightly different but the big thing to ask yourself are you an oldschool camber loving guy or do you want something that's a little tweaked? That in my opinion is what differentiates the two. If you're oldschool and grew up on camber and been bitching that no one makes a good old fashioned cambered deck then you have to go with the Standard. If you could give two shits about that then you go with the Mega.

The way I look at it is if I lived in WA still I'd ride the Standard it would just kill that crusty snow up there easier. Being in CO where the snow is lighter and I find myself needing extra snap to pop over every fat skier kid that somehow finds themselves out on the goat path of death I need the snap so I'm more a Mega guy. If I lived back East and was riding ice I'd probably hedge it a bit more on the Standard.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I owned the Mercury for 2 seasons and my friend owns the Ghost so the Standard in camber = Standard Uninc. Another friend just got the latest Ghost model with the new topsheet and they are basically the same as the older ones that a touch more rubbery. The profile, geometry etc. are the same in the Ghost and Standard Uninc.

Tested both the Mercury 157 and the Ghost 156 on the same day in spring conditions so icy in the shady parts and slushy in the sun (picture 2). Also rode the Mega Mercury on a demo day and the difference between the Mercury and the Mega Merc is marginal.

Capitas are more snappy and lighter, better for jumps. The Ghost trashed the Mercury in icy spots. Both float very well for a directional twin.

View attachment 164029
View attachment 164028
Wanted to get your opinion on the Merc vs Mega. Haven't been on either, but on tons of NS boards and really want only one board for everything. Big jump in the Mega vs reg Merc and which do you think was more playful? Can you 'putt' around on the Mega? Everything I've read and seen is go Mercury for a bit more playful, but also heard it's catchy at slow speeds.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own a Mercury from 2020 and then last years Mega Mercury. I'm a east coast rider mainly and for me the Mega is less catchy at slow speeds but it has a lot better in Icy conditions than the Mercury. When it's super Icy I grab the Mega or the Gnu gremlin depending on what I'm trying to do. I think the Mercury does everything well, but the Mega just takes it up a notch and it works for me when everything is frozen over. I'm not really sure why the Mega seems less catchy going slow.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Wanted to get your opinion on the Merc vs Mega. Haven't been on either, but on tons of NS boards and really want only one board for everything. Big jump in the Mega vs reg Merc and which do you think was more playful? Can you 'putt' around on the Mega? Everything I've read and seen is go Mercury for a bit more playful, but also heard it's catchy at slow speeds.
It sounds like you are the Mercury guy. I cannot compare it to any NS cos I basically don’t care about any CRC boards. The Mega is a touch stiffer and a touch lighter. Considering the hype for Mercury is over and they pop up here and there in EU on sale/used from the last seasons and the Mega Merc is being highly pushed now and sells out, I’d rather save that 200 USD or so and buy another used board for a quiver.

Regarding the catchiness, yes, my Mercury 2020 was a bit catchy on icy slopes at slow speeds but at the same time it doesn’t grip well carving on it. Sounds weird but I’ve been reporting it from day 4 on it and that’s the reason I sold it eventually after 2 years. But that catchiness wasn’t the deal breaker for me, it was the grip. Otherwise it is an amazing all mnt fs board for jumps and good snow conditions. I did not feel the catchiness on the Mega but on the demo day the conditions were good. @BurtonAvenger in his last Mercury review reported that catchiness an gave an idea to detune it in the middle but my Mercury was already sold so I didn’t test it.

It is not the Death Grip alone as I also had the Asymulator at the same time in the quiver, rode them one by one on multiple days and it had a good grip on ice and no catchiness while being more cambered. I suspect it’s a mix of the profile, the flex points and the death grip there. Like a combo of factors.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I've just tried the Mercury for one lap. I didn't find it playful at all and quite dull to ride at slower speeds. It was ok when you picked up speed in decent snow and put it into a carve, but nothing special. We all like different boards and I couldn't wait to get off it. Maybe a freestyle rider would like it better... I don't know.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Out of all the boards I have owned/ tried (maybe 15) the Mercury is the only one I really couldn't get on with at all. It felt light and fast and poppy and manoeuvrable but sooooo weird to turn.
What was 'weird' about it? I've owned a Rider's choice, felt a bit sluggish to turn due to the magnetraction.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I was coming from a full camber board to the Gnu which had a rocker in the middle of the board. It was terrifying. I am sure I could have got used to it given time but I couldn't deal with the wobbles on the cat tracks so chose to change it to a shape I was more familiar with. This was a good few years back though.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I was coming from a full camber board to the Gnu which had a rocker in the middle of the board. It was terrifying. I am sure I could have got used to it given time but I couldn't deal with the wobbles on the cat tracks so chose to change it to a shape I was more familiar with. This was a good few years back though.
Thanks Andy and what about the Mercury? I'm coming from tons of libtech's and Never Summer, got a Mercury, but have yet to ride it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh sorry, just what I said above about how the turning felt weird to me. I found I had to engage the back leg a lot more than on other boards, I tried it for a while but it just never felt right to me, ended up selling it. I have a sneaky feeling it might not have been wide enough for me. Lots of people seem to love the Mercury though for sure, and one thing I do remember that it was super nimble and easy to move around underneath you. Good luck!

·
Registered
745 Posts
Oh sorry, just what I said above about how the turning felt weird to me. I found I had to engage the back leg a lot more than on other boards, I tried it for a while but it just never felt right to me, ended up selling it. I have a sneaky feeling it might not have been wide enough for me. Lots of people seem to love the Mercury though for sure, and one thing I do remember that it was super nimble and easy to move around underneath you. Good luck!
10/10 on this, not sure if it’s the rocker between the feet or the edge tech but I loathe the wobbly feeling mervins give me at low speed/skating

1 - 20 of 22 Posts