Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys n gals
Im absolutely pumped that I get to move to Canada for two years on a working holiday visa! Ive managed to get myself a job at the local resort in Calgary.
just wondering if I could get some inside info on things like the best place to find a place to rent, cheapest way to get from Vancouver to Calgary , the best way to get to the mountains, and most importantly a good watering hole.
I leave Australia on the 15 and will probably spend a few days in Vancouver before heading over to start work.
I would really appreciate any info you guys and gals can through my way

cheers

·
Registered
730 Posts
Vancouver to Calgary is a long ass drive...but a really nice one. if the weather is shit, it can take a really long time tho. Flying is not a terrible option.

Plenty of good bars here, depends what you are after!

What resort? Personally I would find a place close to where I worked, or close to a direct public transit route to get to work.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Your story is like me saying ...

"I've got a 2 year visa to OZ, and I'm really into surfing, so I got a job lined up at surf shop in Canberra. I'm totally stoked."

Calgary's an option for us peeps who think they need to work a decent job, but want to stay close to the mountains.

Put your finger on a map somewhere between Vancouver and Calgary, and that's where you'd really want to be.

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
Fuck yeah, Canmore, Banff, depends on the resort. Which hill you working at?

Best way to go from Van to Cal is to buy a ticket direct to Cal and skip it. That's the cheapest option anyway. Transfer in Vancouver, wave at the rainy people, and get back on the plane to sunny Calgary! :yahoo:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Haha sweet
I'll be working at the Olympic park so are there any cheap areas west of the city??? Unfortunately I've already got ticket to van & a place to sleep for the first few nights as I booked and paid for everything before I got a job in Calgary. Flying over would be ideal however when I looked online a flight is around $300 with air canada, is this a normal price or is there budget airlines that I should have a look at?? I defiantly wouldn't drive I would be to worried about pulling out onto the wrong side of the road and having a head-on lol. Even a bus or train would be ok if there cheap enough

·
Registered
562 Posts
Long drive? I've made it here in 8-9 hours. :D

Sunny Calgary? It hasn't rained here in a month!

The only airlines that fly between the two are AirCanada and Westjet. Various options available!

·
Reformed Creep-o-saurus
6,863 Posts
I'll be working at the Olympic park so are there any cheap areas west of the city??? Unfortunately I've already got ticket to van & a place to sleep for the first few nights as I booked and paid for everything before I got a job in Calgary. Flying over would be ideal however when I looked online a flight is around $300 with air canada, is this a normal price or is there budget airlines that I should have a look at?? I defiantly wouldn't drive I would be to worried about pulling out onto the wrong side of the road and having a head-on lol. Even a bus or train would be ok if there cheap enough
For COP you'll want to live in Calgary itself. It's in the west end of the city, but there's pretty good public transit here if you're not buying a car. Anywhere in the NW it's easy to get to COP.

Flying is probably the cheapest reasonable option. The trains are slower and more expensive in Canada. :dunno:

Sunny Calgary? It hasn't rained here in a month!
Vancouver gets on average 1940 hours of sun and 45 inches of rain a year. Calgary gets 2400 hours of sun and 12 inches of rain... :dizzy:

You can say it's cold here, and you'd be right, but what we lack in heat we make up for with the sun!

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
There is always the Greyhound too, but it will be a looooong and ride. But probably your cheapest option. Too bad you don't have a van or something if you take Hwy 3 there is some of the best snowboarding and views in BC.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks peps
so ive book a flight with west jet 100 bucks cheaper than air canada,
and have booked a hostel for a week lol thats going to be fun.
ive had a look at hwy 3 i think im going to get myself a car and do that tip looks like that would be a sick trip,

thanks heaps for your help cant wait to get there and get my board on
yewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

·
Premium Member
927 Posts
Drop me a line when you get into town. There are a number of us on the forum who live in Calgary. Since your coming so far.....we will take you to the best place on earth.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Revelstoke.

·
Premium Member
2,476 Posts
Yeah I'm thinking he's talking about BC's interior...Grew up in Calgary and don't miss it at all.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts