Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,990 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had something very weird happen on the Emerald Express chair today. As we were approaching the top, I tried to pull my board around to prepare, only to realize it was hung up on something. I leaned over and looked down and realized that the lever on the ankle ratchet of my rear binding had hooked itself on the ski brake lever of the skier sitting beside me. I pointed this out and we both tried to unhook it, but it wasn't going to come off without a lot of effort. We both started yelling at the lifties to stop the lift, almost too late. The lift finally stopped as we were starting to come around the big wheel.

Anyway, the lifties came over and tried to untangle us. It took several minutes and they ended up having to take his skis off him and my board off me, then manipulate the offending hardware. There was literally only one position in which the ski brake lever would fit through the ratchet lever.

Anyway, if you were stuck on the Emerald Express for several minutes around mid-morning today, that was me. Sorry.

Anyone else have weird unbelievable shit happen? Things that make you wonder if God really is a bastard?

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had something very weird happen on the Emerald Express chair today. As we were approaching the top, I tried to pull my board around to prepare, only to realize it was hung up on something. I leaned over and looked down and realized that the lever on the ankle ratchet of my rear binding had hooked itself on the ski brake lever of the skier sitting beside me. I pointed this out and we both tried to unhook it, but it wasn't going to come off without a lot of effort. We both started yelling at the lifties to stop the lift, almost too late. The lift finally stopped as we were starting to come around the big wheel.

Anyway, the lifties came over and tried to untangle us. It took several minutes and they ended up having to take his skis off him and my board off me, then manipulate the offending hardware. There was literally only one position in which the ski brake lever would fit through the ratchet lever.

Anyway, if you were stuck on the Emerald Express for several minutes around mid-morning today, that was me. Sorry.

Anyone else have weird unbelievable shit happen? Things that make you wonder if God really is a bastard?
Damn u. I was freezing ass off. People like u shouldn't be allowed to be at emerald Express. Or pay a huge fine

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
392 Posts
I was getting off the lift last spring, and my hood got caught on the safety bar and drug me around until I hit the emergency stop.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
I once got dragged around by a chair when the buckle of the hip strap - which I hadn't closed - of the backpack - which I had on my back - somehow moved through and got jammed between the gap of the seat and back rest.

I innocently wanted to get off the lift at the short steep top platform, but only got as far as having my butt off the seat and then got restricted and dragged. I was half around the wheel when liftie stopped the lift; only then I figured out what the problem is.

Lessons learned. I take backpacks off and keep them on my lap ever since.

·
Premium Member
975 Posts
Must be today. I went up to do some nighttime runs and it was snowing pretty hard. I went through the terrain park and as I was exiting I fell flat on my face for no apparent reason.

I looked back and the fence to slow people down had fallen over and the heavy snow had covered it fairly quickly, so I ran over it and it had caught on my bindings and pulled me down.

A park crew guy came over I assume to fix the fence so I told him "I found this for you," untangled myself and rode away.

Then an avalanche closed the resort and I went home after one run.

·
Registered
2,708 Posts

Same thing...........couple years back.........gettin close to unloading.........board wouldn't straighten out.........the hole in the ratchet buckle had slid around the ski brake of the gentleman next to me.........panic and a lacky lifty.......cost me a new ankle strap..................

·
Registered
206 Posts
My son and I were getting on the lift a couple years ago. Apparently the group behind us weren't very good at the whole skiing thing- they kind of stumbled up to the loading area, grabbed our chair in front of them to steady themselves, and pushed the bar down. I reached out to lift the bar but there was no time. I'm not sure if I thought I could stop a chairlift or I was just trying to keep control and not get run down, but I straight armed the bar with one hand, picked up my kid with the other, and got pushed right down into the pit. Lifties had no idea what was going on until we were 6-8 feet out. Fun times.

·
Premium Member
2,424 Posts
One time I was on a chair behind my brother and my friend. They are both kind of skids. I saw them flip the safety bar up hard and it bounced back and slowly went down and they both got trapped and tripped the safety line and stopped the lift. Then they were both arguing the other dropped the bar back down as a prank. I was pissing my self laughing.

·
Registered
7,987 Posts
Yesterday, rode with Stickz and had a 20" pow dump, dropped a big ass 2-part line. Dropped the first part fine and...biffed x1 which I attributed to my geezerly ass and working all night. Drop in of the 2nd part is with about 25' cliffy drop and rode down a glorious pow filled bowl...heavenly. Then hit the cat track...wft no control, could not turn heel side and barely toeside...the board just a fucking squirrl...WTFFFF. Checked my board nope its fine, bindings check....uhmm its my latch lever on my AT backland boots. Stickz and I hiked out to the drop, I had flipped up the cuff latch lever to walk mode and had forgot to flip it back down to ride mode before dropping...what a frick'n retard I is. But damm may I could do a pow surfer.

·
The Swiss Miss
7,233 Posts
Checked my board nope its fine, bindings check....uhmm its my latch lever on my AT backland boots. Stickz and I hiked out to the drop, I had flipped up the cuff latch lever to walk mode and had forgot to flip it back down to ride mode before dropping...what a frick'n retard I is. But damm may I could do a pow surfer.
Lol. This has happened to me as well, more than once. And yes, it didn't matter in pow, only recognized it at the bottom :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I once got dragged around by a chair when the buckle of the hip strap - which I hadn't closed - of the backpack - which I had on my back - somehow moved through and got jammed between the gap of the seat and back rest.

I innocently wanted to get off the lift at the short steep top platform, but only got as far as having my butt off the seat and then got restricted and dragged. I was half around the wheel when liftie stopped the lift; only then I figured out what the problem is.

Lessons learned. I take backpacks off and keep them on my lap ever since.
Same thing happened to me. Lift was super fast and I swung around until the backpack ripped and went flying. learned my lesson for sure haha

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Must be today. I went up to do some nighttime runs and it was snowing pretty hard. I went through the terrain park and as I was exiting I fell flat on my face for no apparent reason.

I looked back and the fence to slow people down had fallen over and the heavy snow had covered it fairly quickly, so I ran over it and it had caught on my bindings and pulled me down.

A park crew guy came over I assume to fix the fence so I told him "I found this for you," untangled myself and rode away.

Then an avalanche closed the resort and I went home after one run.
Had something similar happen to me a few years back. New terrain had just opened up and I was traversing across some really mellow terrain to get to the chute I was wanting to drop when all of a sudden it was like the Earth itself grabbed my board and it came to a dead halt. My body did not. Snow had bridged over some tundra shrubs basically creating a mini tree well and when it gave way the nose of my board caught on those shrubs. Torn MCL on my lead leg.

·
Registered
10,467 Posts
Yesterday, rode with Stickz and had a 20" pow dump, dropped a big ass 2-part line. Dropped the first part fine and...biffed x1 which I attributed to my geezerly ass and working all night. Drop in of the 2nd part is with about 25' cliffy drop and rode down a glorious pow filled bowl...heavenly. Then hit the cat track...wft no control, could not turn heel side and barely toeside...the board just a fucking squirrl...WTFFFF. Checked my board nope its fine, bindings check....uhmm its my latch lever on my AT backland boots. Stickz and I hiked out to the drop, I had flipped up the cuff latch lever to walk mode and had forgot to flip it back down to ride mode before dropping...what a frick'n retard I is. But damm may I could do a pow surfer.
Yeah something similar to that happened to me too. I was taking nighttime park laps at a local hill and noticed something was off. I couldn't finish turns without everything feeling super sketchy. Made sure bindings were tight, made sure boots were tight, WTF. Stopped to grab a beer and once I was unstrapped I realized I'd snapped the heelcup on my right (rear leg) binding. I came down for a pretty hard landing in the back seat off a booter I misjudged and I"m pretty sure that's what did it. I figured I would've heard it snap but trying really hard not to eat shit probably had me preoccupied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts