Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2221 - 2240 of 2274 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
15 years later still hitting the PNW passes in my ‘05 Element sitting on BFG All Terrain T/A’s.

I was just telling a guy at work yesterday how when I’m driving my Element up to Stevens I’m constantly getting passed by the flatlanders doing 70mph, but once we get to the snow line I’m the one doing all the passing and giving a little beep beep as I pass their 10 and 2 white knuckle deer in the headlights look

·
Registered
987 Posts
Welp, sold our CX-5 to Carvana. Super easy, they pick it up Tuesday. Tomorrow I’m walking into a VW and offering 6k under msrp on a Golf Alltrack. Gotta get my flame suit out of the closet first.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Welp, sold our CX-5 to Carvana. Super easy, they pick it up Tuesday. Tomorrow I’m walking into a VW and offering 6k under msrp on a Golf Alltrack. Gotta get my flame suit out of the closet first.
Japanese to German? I hope you're planning on replacing it before 100k miles ;)

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
15 years later still hitting the PNW passes in my ‘05 Element sitting on BFG All Terrain T/A’s.

I was just telling a guy at work yesterday how when I’m driving my Element up to Stevens I’m constantly getting passed by the flatlanders doing 70mph, but once we get to the snow line I’m the one doing all the passing and giving a little beep beep as I pass their 10 and 2 white knuckle deer in the headlights look
What kind of mileage do you get with that setup? I had a black and plastic 05 element as well, best car ever for car camping and adventuring, but when I started planning my winter roadtrip and calculating gas cost, there was no way the 17-18mpg was gonna cut it, also it was painfully slow already at 500ft of elevation, I can only imagine up at 8k feet and up! Sadly sold it for a Mazda 3, I still dream about a turbo diesel element one day though

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
@16gkid so the Alltrack comes with 6yr 72k warranty with 0% interest for 72 months. After my turbo blew in my GTI I’d never keep a VW beyond warranty 🤣
Thats pretty good if 72k is enough, I was deciding between the mazda 3 and the Audi A3 but I knew i was gonna be piling on the mileage (i bought my mazda with 30k Oct '16 and it has 156k now May'20) and just between the maintenance cost , insurance, premium gas, deprecation, I couldnt do it, one day ill make german money!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Thats pretty good if 72k is enough, I was deciding between the mazda 3 and the Audi A3 but I knew i was gonna be piling on the mileage (i bought my mazda with 30k Oct '16 and it has 156k now May'20) and just between the maintenance cost , insurance, premium gas, deprecation, I couldnt do it, one day ill make german money!
talk to any “honest” German car owner or mechanic and they’ll tell you to stay away, job security for the mechanics

·
Registered
987 Posts
I know I know I know...I just really want a station wagon and that’s all that’s left. Before you say it, the Outback is pretty much an SUV at this point and the Buick Regal is an Opel.

·
Registered
682 Posts
I know I know I know...I just really want a station wagon and that’s all that’s left. Before you say it, the Outback is pretty much an SUV at this point and the Buick Regal is an Opel.
I hear you that’s why I haven’t sold my Element, there just isn’t much out there to choose from.

I like wagons myself but the brands I like Honda/Acura and Toyota don’t make a newer AWD wagon, have you ever looked at the Honda Crosstour AWD, I’ve almost pulled the trigger on one of those, but I’d put a more aggressive wheel on it with some BFG All-Terrain T/A’s and throw my packasport on the roof. Not sure the last year they made them but you can still find clean low miles decent price on eBay V6, AWD, heated leather, sunroof, great ground clearance, incredible handling in snow and Honda quality

·
Registered
616 Posts
Yeah man we had an Audi allroad. I loved that car. It was a badass snow driving machine. But at 90k mi the writing was on the wall. Trade in before it dies. I may get an Audi again but only for a lease.

·
Registered
824 Posts
I loved my Honda Element. There was so much right about that car! The rubberized cavernous interior is brilliant, but I wish it had a better engine and suspension. It was a real struggle buggy getting up the Rockies, and it had the most body roll of any stock vehicle I think I've ever been in. Traction control was good, especially with snow tires- I drove seven miles down a cat track one time! It was super reliable and never let me down in the slightest.

I sold my 2010 Element, bought and built a 2007 Volvo XC90, and had money left over. Full disclaimer- my brother is a Volvo mechanic. We replaced the suspension, brakes, and motor on a shell with a blown motor. It's been driving like a new car for 25,000 miles. We made a few upgrades while we were at it (injectors, cams, turbo, exhaust, tune, brembos) and it's decently quick too.

The XC90 has been an ideal snowboarding car for me. Snow and ice traction is excellent. It stomps the Element for comfort, power and control. I just wish the interior came out and I could hose it down!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Loved my '15 Golf TDI wagon until Dieselgate and I sold it back. We'll be getting an Alltrack for my wife whenever we can afford it.

Traded it over for a 16 Forester XT and I couldn't be happier. Throw on some Nokian Hakkapellittas and snow hasn't been an issue. Love, love, love.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I recently picked up a Jeep to replace the Subaru. Starting to plan how to set it up for winter camping trips next season. The back with the seats folded down is shorter than the Subaru(which was basically perfect to sleep in at my height). I may have to get creative. Driving from CT to VT, NH, ME during storms will hopefully be a bit less sketchy though.

2221 - 2240 of 2274 Posts