Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

2261 - 2274 of 2274 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Could anyone tell me if some roof racks are worth the investment or if the noise (even with the aerodynamic ones) is too much for long trips? Better get a roof box instead?
Have a look at my thread above (specifically, the pics of the Subaru). Now, my dad reckons that the roof bars by themselves, create more wind noise than with the box mounted.

I've only ever driven him with the box mounted, and I can say that the noise is totally acceptable - between my music and the fact that the tires are relatively quiet, I don't notice any intrusion into the cabin.

Box is a massive plus. If you can get one, do it!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have a look at my thread above (specifically, the pics of the Subaru). Now, my dad reckons that the roof bars by themselves, create more wind noise than with the box mounted.

I've only ever driven him with the box mounted, and I can say that the noise is totally acceptable - between my music and the fact that the tires are relatively quiet, I don't notice any intrusion into the cabin.

Box is a massive plus. If you can get one, do it!!!
Thanks! At some point I guess I'll get one, I want to try a season without, just carrying the snowboard inside the car, and see if it gets too uncomfortable. Considering the car is not too small and I don't plan to travel with more than a couple of friends it may not be necessary, we'll see!

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thanks! At some point I guess I'll get one, I want to try a season without, just carrying the snowboard inside the car, and see if it gets too uncomfortable. Considering the car is not too small and I don't plan to travel with more than a couple of friends it may not be necessary, we'll see!
I've done both, for many many years. There is a care-freeness that comes with being able to simply mount your board on the roof - biggest one for mine, is eliminating the possibility of moisture throughout the car's fan/air-con system -- I don't necessarily care about the ventilation system itself, moreso the immediate impact that internal moisture has on window fogging etc.

If you have racks, I'd say run with them, any noise from them is likely going to be from gaps in the rubber grommets along the bars, which you can remedy with some duct tape (no shit).

Give it a go :)

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Could anyone tell me if some roof racks are worth the investment or if the noise (even with the aerodynamic ones) is too much for long trips? Better get a roof box instead?
You get noise from the roof racks before you mount the box or the board rack. Once I added the roof box to the roof rack I didn't notice more noise.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
So uhhhh. I might be in the market for a new to me car.

I have a 2006 acura TL that is starting to get electrical issues. Just hit 150k on it but the motor is solid. Has some rust starting but whatever. It's really not what I would have picked for a daily but it was a hand me down and I'm still very grateful for it.

That said, looking for something in the 15k range tops. Still trying to live like a student so want to be mindful of that.

My short list right now includes the 2012 v6 rav 4, crv, and maybe the cx5.

Any other recs? The rdx is pretty solid but I'm worried maintenance will be worse. Only looking at that because my mom has one.

Would want to keep the car for at least 4-5 years, which is when I'll finish training.

I'm going to use the car for driving up to NH/VT for board trips and for cycling. Hope to be able to fit 3-4 people with board stuff with a seat down. Also want to be able to fit a bike in the back without taking a wheel off of possible with the back seats down.

·
Registered
885 Posts
So uhhhh. I might be in the market for a new to me car.

I have a 2006 acura TL that is starting to get electrical issues. Just hit 150k on it but the motor is solid. Has some rust starting but whatever. It's really not what I would have picked for a daily but it was a hand me down and I'm still very grateful for it.

That said, looking for something in the 15k range tops. Still trying to live like a student so want to be mindful of that.

My short list right now includes the 2012 v6 rav 4, crv, and maybe the cx5.

Any other recs? The rdx is pretty solid but I'm worried maintenance will be worse. Only looking at that because my mom has one.

Would want to keep the car for at least 4-5 years, which is when I'll finish training.

I'm going to use the car for driving up to NH/VT for board trips and for cycling. Hope to be able to fit 3-4 people with board stuff with a seat down. Also want to be able to fit a bike in the back without taking a wheel off of possible with the back seats down.
Throw in a Subaru outback for kicks

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just relayed the headlights on my old 98 ZJ. Made a crazy difference. Next step is to replace the lenses, and the headlight upgrades will be complete. Already installed the LED bulbs. Pretty excited about it.

2261 - 2274 of 2274 Posts