Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here's the deal. I'm currently on a 09/10 T.Rice C2BTX 157 and while it is a great board I think I should have gotten a longer one. Initially I was planning on just buying another T.Rice in 161.5 or 164 but I've been on here and reading about the Never Summer boards and how great they are so it's got me thinking.

About me: 5'10" athletic but over weight 225 lbs. I started riding in 1986 but took a long hiatus until last season (1995-2009 off the board). Still consider myself a fairly advanced intermediate rider though I'm no pro and as I have responsibilities now (read children) I'm not looking to hit any big jumps....I will say I wonder into the park every now and then with my son...but not doing much of anything myself. I love to go fast and carve turns.

So like I said I was thinking of just picking up a 10/11 T.Rice but then I saw the NS boards...started looking at the Raptor but then thought maybe a bit softer flex might be less work to ride so maybe the F1 or even the Heritage. Any thoughts on the differences in these boards vs the T.Rice? I'm sure they are all fantastic and I can't really go wrong but I've never had an opportunity to ride a NS board....never even seen one actually. One note would be that I am here on the East Coast so plenty of ice to deal with on a daily basis...so maybe sticking with the magnetraction is a good idea...but I'm open to opinions.

·
Registered
454 Posts
If you like your T.Rice and doon't want to risk trying another board that you might not like, I'd say stick with it.

·
Registered
647 Posts
If you love going fast, get the Dark Series by Lib over the T.Rice, its more narrow and has lower profile and it has built in 3D risers for more control.....and it charges hard!

·
Registered
773 Posts
I agree with the statement that if you like the Rice get that in a larger size. BUT if you want something different or feel like you need a little more go for the Raptor or Premier. Both are great boards, the Premier is a little more forgiving because of the dampening and flex where as the Raptor is straight big mountain freeride.

I myself have a premier.

·
Registered
236 Posts
wow, you ride 157 trice @ 225lbs? I ride the same size and i'm at 170lbs. Trice is a great board (as you know it) and probably just go with the larger 160+cm size will be more that sufficient. Sounds to me though you want to try something new. probably doing a demo for NS Raptor will give you a better picture what you want. I'm considering a Raptor too as my freeride stick.

·
Registered
260 Posts
wow, you ride 157 trice @ 225lbs? I ride the same size and i'm at 170lbs. Trice is a great board (as you know it) and probably just go with the larger 160+cm size will be more that sufficient. Sounds to me though you want to try something new. probably doing a demo for NS Raptor will give you a better picture what you want. I'm considering a Raptor too as my freeride stick.
Agreed, I'm 175ish and ride the T.Rice 157 as my main do everything board. @ 225 you should go big and get the 164.5, although you never did mention your boot size which is 'kinda' important. ;)

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea I was thinking of either getting the longer T.Rice or one of the NS boards in the 162-165 length. I was out again tonight and as long as I keep the speed down it is great but as soon as I let it fly it gets a bit unstable.

My local hill is only 500 vertical feet...really just a bump, I think I would never do the Raptor justice...but I will probably never do the T.Rice justice either. You are right on that I sound like I want to try something different...there is no good reason for this, just something in my personality. I did it with golf clubs when I golfed, I do it with bikes and now it seems I have the bug with snowboards too. There is no place near me that I know of to demo a NS board, it would be a blind buy...much like the T.Rice was though I had ridden Lib Tech boards in the past.

I do love me some Lib Tech...maybe just the 161.5 T.Rice......:confused:

·
Premium Member
367 Posts
Yea I was thinking of either getting the longer T.Rice or one of the NS boards in the 162-165 length. I was out again tonight and as long as I keep the speed down it is great but as soon as I let it fly it gets a bit unstable.

My local hill is only 500 vertical feet...really just a bump, I think I would never do the Raptor justice...but I will probably never do the T.Rice justice either. You are right on that I sound like I want to try something different...there is no good reason for this, just something in my personality. I did it with golf clubs when I golfed, I do it with bikes and now it seems I have the bug with snowboards too. There is no place near me that I know of to demo a NS board, it would be a blind buy...much like the T.Rice was though I had ridden Lib Tech boards in the past.

I do love me some Lib Tech...maybe just the 161.5 T.Rice......:confused:
agreed about everything said by grasschopper. trice RIPS it. the dark series for me was a bit harder charging. either of those is the deck for you

·
Registered
260 Posts
Ok so I'm sticking with Lib Tech and the T.Rice...now at my size do I want the 161.5 or the 164.5?
Well, I originally suggested the 164.5, BUT... I did that before your post stating that your local 'hill' is only 500 ft... probably go 161.5 unless you plan some trips out west.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, I originally suggested the 164.5, BUT... I did that before your post stating that your local 'hill' is only 500 ft... probably go 161.5 unless you plan some trips out west.
Trips out west aren't out of the question...my wife's brother lives in Denver and his wife and her daughter ride as well so visiting them actually had been in the plans this year until my wife broke her arm this past weekend. And we have been talking about doing some trips on the east coast to larger resorts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts