Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Ah Demon even has full length pants to cover knees. Wish those had stronger knee protection, but I can go with the shorts. Shame they don't have this product at any retailer outside of their own side.
Im disappointed in mine, nothing in the knees, sides of thighs are a joke, does good in the tailbone. Looking for a better alt..

·
Registered
33 Posts
Burton doesn't say anything about their protection having any certification so I'm leaning toward Demon with d3o. Only problem is shipping probably will take forever
I would pass on demon, bulky, protection in some places, just not where you need it. Have there knee pads, you can have mine they are freaking huge.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been looking at d3o options but it's like everything has been discontinued since 2015
Good. Probably discontinued because they make injuries worse. Had them and really messed up my knee worse than if o had nothing on. They harden on impact, so it was like landing on cement instead of snow. There’s a great article explaining how they work/don’t work in boxing, to explain what is happening. When the boxing trainer has them in his boxing gloves, it protects him from the punches he’s receiving, but for the person throwing the punch, it’s like punching a cement wall. So put that technology in a knee pad. If you’re sitting still and someone hits your knee with a bat, you’ll be OK, but landing on them, again, is like landing on cement, as you’re now landing on something which turned super hard. Kind of hard to explain, but I don’t recommend them and they were expensive too.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Burton Impact shorts have one secret feature no one thinks of.
You won't be cold in the ass so fast, sitting on a chair, snow, or wet bench.

Every year I see some pair, with 50% discount. Just be patient and buy them when they cost around 60-70$ tops.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Good. Probably discontinued because they make injuries worse. Had them and really messed up my knee worse than if o had nothing on. They harden on impact, so it was like landing on cement instead of snow. There’s a great article explaining how they work/don’t work in boxing, to explain what is happening. When the boxing trainer has them in his boxing gloves, it protects him from the punches he’s receiving, but for the person throwing the punch, it’s like punching a cement wall. So put that technology in a knee pad. If you’re sitting still and someone hits your knee with a bat, you’ll be OK, but landing on them, again, is like landing on cement, as you’re now landing on something which turned super hard. Kind of hard to explain, but I don’t recommend them and they were expensive too.
Why don't they line the body-side with something cushioning like foam, with d3o on the outer layer?

·
Registered
781 Posts
I will say again the telekekneesis pads are very hard to beat. I had the d3o kneepads and the poster above is right, falling on them is worse than hitting most things as the pads hardens right up on impact. I have been using these vigilante shorts for 4 seasons. Way more protective and less bulky than Azzpads.

·
Registered
138 Posts
How exactly do they make injuries worse?
the d30/ poc vpd / IXS x-matter etc pads are designed to stiffen on impact to spread that force over a wider area, AFAIK. if you don't have that sort of foam in a soft-shell pad, you will need a hardshell pad to do something similar.
Those style of pads are going to be stiffer in the cold. you would be wearing them under your pants or bibs though.
what was the sequence of your crash? were there multiple impacts in the one crash?

·
Registered
781 Posts
How exactly do they make injuries worse?
Those style of pads are going to be stiffer in the cold. you would be wearing them under your pants or bibs though.
what was the sequence of your crash? were there multiple impacts in the one crash?
For me it was just one large impact, (G-form kneepads) straight down onto my knee. When I came down the pad hardened and it was worse than had it just dug into the snow. It was a like a brick into the center of my kneecap. Unlike other pads with a hard shell and padding underneath this material puts the hard part in direct contact with the point of impact.

·
Registered
138 Posts
For me it was just one large impact, (G-form kneepads) straight down onto my knee. When I came down the pad hardened and it was worse than had it just dug into the snow. It was a like a brick into the center of my kneecap. Unlike other pads with a hard shell and padding underneath this material puts the hard part in direct contact with the point of impact.
were they the Demon X D3O Smartskin knee?
" The Smartskin D3O Knee pads were designed for the pedal pushers and our team riders that just need something light, but protective..."
Light being the operative word. That's a bit like Light, but filling. 🤮

personally, I wouldn't put much stock in g-form pads or g-form style. ok for very light impacts, but nothing more. also, they are made as a flat piece that only conforms to the knee or elbow because of all the gaps between pad sections. Glorified sleeves, IMO.

I've used POC vpd 2.0 pads for a long time. I've had some nasty slams and not felt a thing. YMMV, of course.
They also make DH versions of their knee and elbow pads, with hardshell plastic over the top.
Fox also make d30 elbows and knees with replaceable hard shell for the elbow joint or kneecap.

if you aren't into the non-newtonian foam d30/VPD etc, you could try Dainese armorform knees and elbows, which are hardshell over foam. designed for MTB enduro & DH.
the dainese site list the armoform pro, but the armoform version should be still available from some retailers

·
Registered
14 Posts
I own both the Burton and the Demon impact shorts.

The Burton one is super slim but doesn't last. After a season the pads have torn and are only semi functional. It's bad enough that I don't want to wash them anymore.

Demon ones seemingly will last forever these are strong as hell. They are slightly bulkier but there is a clear difference in protection on falls. I was always skeptical of the Burton one because you have to trust the thin layer of D30 will harden on landing, which, I'm not totally convinced happens.

Another plus of the Demons is they'll integrate with upper body armor if you ever use it.

Whatever you get make sure it has the pee hole.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I will say again the telekekneesis pads are very hard to beat. I had the d3o kneepads and the poster above is right, falling on them is worse than hitting most things as the pads hardens right up on impact. I have been using these vigilante shorts for 4 seasons. Way more protective and less bulky than Azzpads.
Which brand d3o kneepads did you have? I was checking out Demon's flexforce shorts for tailbone and they say there is foam underneath the d3o for cushioned impact.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Which brand d3o kneepads did you have? I was checking out Demon's flexforce shorts for tailbone and they say there is foam underneath the d3o for cushioned impact.
They were the G-form which I think isn't technically d3o. I believe I got them mixed up, I can't speak to the Demon products.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts