Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Interesting, did your boot fitters ever try to put foam on top of that area when molding the liners? My guy did that for me since I have a slightly higher instep, and it created a nice pocket.

That’s a really good idea, my only con earn would be that the moulding generally doesn’t last so would need to be redone. Also the bindings may close the gap created. By cutting out the liner you are creating a permanent space for the vein even with bindings on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Ok I’m using tapatalk, hopefully this works

Good job on solving your issue! Btw, and for future reference for others reading this,... You might have been able to accomplish the same thing by shaving down that section of liner as opposed to cutting it out. I only mention this as it might be wise to start small before going all "Ginsu Knives" on your liners! ;) :lol:

It's possible you also might have been able to fix things by building up the liner slightly on either side of the problem.

Not diss'ing the OP's ingenious solution, just putting forward options for those who are a little more timid about cutting up their liners. (.. @neni, you can ignore this obviously! Nothing "timid" about you!!) ;) :laugh:

Angry snowboarder's Boot fit series might cover some of those options I mentioned also. (...haven't watched the entire series yet!) :shrug:

:hairy:

Reactions: Syman Kaye

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Good job on solving your issue! Btw, and for future reference for others reading this,... You might have been able to accomplish the same thing by shaving down that section of liner as opposed to cutting it out. I only mention this as it might be wise to start small before going all "Ginsu Knives" on your liners! ;) :lol:

It's possible you also might have been able to fix things by building up the liner slightly on either side of the problem.

Not diss'ing the OP's ingenious solution, just putting forward options for those who are a little more timid about cutting up their liners. (.. @neni, you can ignore this obviously! Nothing "timid" about you!!) ;) :laugh:

Angry snowboarder's Boot fit series might cover some of those options I mentioned also. (...haven't watched the entire series yet!) :shrug:

:hairy:

It’s only taken 16 years . All good suggestions and if building up or shaving down works for you then it’s got to be better than cutting your liners up. This is a 10 year old pair of 32s and we were planner on getting my wife a new pair anyway so didn’t have a lot to loose. We are still going to get a new pair and may try the “padding the area” before moulding idea first, then if possible shaving the inside of the liner. If these do t work so well it sent possible then I would have no hesitation in cutting up a brand new pair of boots. It’s nice to know (after 16 years) that there are a range of options to try and at least 1 that will definitely work!

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
It’s only taken 16 years . All good suggestions and if building up or shaving down works for you then it’s got to be better than cutting your liners up. This is a 10 year old pair of 32s and we were planner on getting my wife a new pair anyway so didn’t have a lot to loose. We are still going to get a new pair and may try the “padding the area” before moulding idea first, then if possible shaving the inside of the liner. If these do t work so well it sent possible then I would have no hesitation in cutting up a brand new pair of boots. It’s nice to know (after 16 years) that there are a range of options to try and at least 1 that will definitely work!

Yep!!! Solving Those boot fit/foot pain issues can be frustrating as all hell. It's great when you can finally alleviate them. Changes the game entirely!!! I have Suffered (...been sufferING) from a few myself. ;) :rolleyes:

It might be worth checking out Angry's site for his boot fitting 101 series. You might pick up some other good tips as well. He's helped me plenty in this regard.

Search for "Boot fitting 101" - The Angry Snowboarder

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Here’s a picture showing my wife feet after 20 mins of being in boots. The one on the left is the normal boot without modification. The right foot is with mod. The red patch on the left foot really show how well this works. You can also see the imprinted lines from her socks are much more defined in the left foot.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Here’s a picture showing my wife feet after 20 mins of being in boots. The one on the left is the normal boot without modification. The right foot is with mod. The red patch on the left foot really show how well this works. You can also see the imprinted lines from her socks are much more defined in the left foot.

My 32 sessions is causing this on top of both my feet.
My toes get numb.

2by2handsofblue

·
The Swiss Miss
7,624 Posts
My 32 sessions is causing this on top of both my feet.
My toes get numb.

2by2handsofblue
Wow, that's some serious pressure on the boot. Surprised she dealt with it for that long
I’d look at modding your liners in one of the ways described above.

^
Yup, I think that's the important take home message.

I've been living with numb painful feet for 14 years. There are old posts in this forum where I mention that I just accepted that feet just hurt, thst it's a part of snowboarding, period, cos all the expensive custom insoles and changing of boot models didn't help. Every boot hurt. Well, I'm glad that it didn't end with that. Reading other threads, meeting other ppl who hack up their liners made me realize that fuck, no, don't accept it, one can try to do something.

Of course, one is timid to put scissors or knives n glues on ones boots at first. But hurting feet are equally miserable. And if you're not lucky enough to find a model which isn't giving those issues, you should try to modify, step by step. At the end of a day feet should only hurt cos they are tired and worn, but not from pressure which can easily alleviated by unthreading, or cutting or glueing or whatever other way you find out to solve your specific issue.

Glad you found a way to make your wife enjoy her days riding, OP. To ride with happy feet is such a game changer. Hope many ppl will read those posts profit.

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Wow, that's some serious pressure on the boot. Surprised she dealt with it for that long
That's why we advocate proper fitting boots first. Even if it causes pain, if the boot is not holding your foot in place properly, most everyone cranks down on boots, bindings, or both to compensate. This can cause similar issues.

As for the OP's issue,... even tho this may well have been simply an Anatomy issue, she no doubt still needs tightly laced boots. Thus, if things don't match up well? Pressure!!

Be it anatomy or poor fit?? Foot pain can utterly ruin an otherwise EPIC day on the hill! :shrug:
@2by2handsofblue,... I hope this tip will solve your issue! :D

Reactions: 2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
222 Posts
That's why we advocate proper fitting boots first. Even if it causes pain, if the boot is not holding your foot in place properly, most everyone cranks down on boots, bindings, or both to compensate. This can cause similar issues.

As for the OP's issue,... even tho this may well have been simply an Anatomy issue, she no doubt still needs tightly laced boots. Thus, if things don't match up well? Pressure!!

Be it anatomy or poor fit?? Foot pain can utterly ruin an otherwise EPIC day on the hill! :shrug:

@2by2handsofblue,... I hope this tip will solve your issue! :D
I hope so. I ended up getting the DC scendent boots.
The sessions is 9.5. I think I should of got the 9.
But I remember the sessions size was pretty tight. So I was worried it would cause too much pain. In hindsight I should of stocked with size 9. But I don't know if that would of helped.
This time I got a size 9. Although I did try on a different model of DC boots at the local store, I hope there isn't too much of a difference in size when it comes to different model boots.
If this boot isn't comfortable, I'm going to try 1 of these modes.

2by2handsofblue

·
Registered
222 Posts

I to get redness on the same area

2by2handsofblue

·
Not quite reformed yet
8,545 Posts
Here is a pic of my foot print

2by2handsofblue

Those are certainly high arches. Not @neni high,.. ;) :laugh: But yeah they're high!

Probably means a high instep too.

-edit-
Oops! Have to post a retraction. :embarrased1:

Re-checked the vid & she does fall into the normal range. My bad!! ;) :laugh:

·
Registered
483 Posts
If you have just one Boa, I find that is easily a problem as it will lead to no circulation due to that vein you are correct. If you have 2 Boa's, you don't really need to bother doing the bottom one up tight at all as your boots can still be tightened and the bindings will hold your foot in place anyway. Personally, I do my boots up tight then put on a product called "Strapins' and then actually loosen my boots off a bit as I know the circulation won't be cut off and they won't loosen for the rest of the day.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
So today we’re off to buy a pair of boots. Going to be trying the idea of padding over the vein before heat moulding the boot and see what that does. My concern with this is that once bindings are put on they will close up the gap (that is basically just an air gap) and apply pressure to the vein again. I think we’ll end up cutting them up so watch this space.

21 - 40 of 59 Posts